BLTouch Auto Leveling Sensor

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
ednisley

Re: BLTouch Auto Leveling Sensor

Post by ednisley » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:24 am

sprior wrote:doing Z sensing but not bed level compensation
Got it in one.

The switch mounts on the gantry near the middle and the lever dangles 1 mm (-ish) higher than the nozzle, barely clearing prints-in-progress.

The Z home process goes like this:
  • Move the nozzle off to the right
  • Raise platform to trigger switch
  • Automagically get nozzle offset from M206 in EEPROM
  • Done!
I'm using a somewhat hotrod platform with a PCB heater bonded to the bottom of the glass. Because I never remove the platform (*), the alignment never changes.

The switch mechanically senses the top of the glass, which is the only part of the platform that matters, so it eliminates all the putzing with mounts, bolts, screws, shims, gauges, manual zeroing, dielectric layers, thermal expansion, and suchlike. Measure & set the offset once and It Just Works.

Apparently nobody believes it can be that simple. References on request. [grin]

(*) I print only PETG on hairspray with the platform at 90 C. The part sticks like it was glued until the platform cools below 50 C, it pops loose, and I pick it up. No muss, no fuss, no chisels, no bashing, life is good.

sonra

Post by sonra » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi
I install the BLTOUCH and it pass the test OK what I don 't find is how much the tip of the device should be above the end of the extruder when the tip is in pullup position (using the spring to adjust it )
Regards Doron

sonra

Post by sonra » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:32 pm

Ok Found a way to measure it

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:00 am

BLTouch installed on my M2 with Duet2 and working. Still have to play with the offset somewhat for whatever reason but the having different height maps at different temps is really nice.. full plate measured every 11mm makes for a really nice first layer. I have yet to try the tapper off option on a taller part. Also using a Build-tak mag setup, and have a plate with their nylon surface, works really well with nylon 910 at 265C hot end and 45 bed no warping, no over stuck, makes me want to buy another roll of 910.. if only it didn't need to be dried for 24 hours before use..
21mm from nozzle.jpg