E3D V6's no longer come with 40watt heaters by default

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Kulturfolger

Re: E3D V6's no longer come with 40watt heaters by default

Post by Kulturfolger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi,

I contacted my dealer and I can confirm that they now sell V6s with 30Watt. I've placed and order to my friend, lets see if the same prints are possible with lower power.

Ingo
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:30 am

I got the v6 assembled and installed and did the thermistor number change and PID autotune. which was shockingly easy! I didnt expect there to be annotations throughout the firmware configuration.h file.

If anyone is hesitant, dont be! It's a breeze! Thanks again Jim. Just waiting on my 40mm fan from newark and then I can take this thing for a spin!

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:22 am

good deal. did you end up just using the makergear 40w heater out of your v3b or are you using the 25/30w unit that came with the hot end? interested to see what the performance is like with the lower watt unit.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:58 am

To be honest I had never considered the chance of a hot end melt down until now, so now I feel sketchy leaving my home while a print is going on. So I ended up just deciding to try out the 25watt heater and see how that goes. for all I know my 40watt heater might have just been underperforming because the parameters werent set properly like you said.

Anyway, i only heated up the 25 watt once and havent printed with it, but it seems to come up to temp fairly well, but if theres a fan on it it really struggles after about 220. we'll see how it performs and if it sucks I'll just put in the spare 40watt that I have.

The fan that I was referring to was the room fan that I have behind the printer, the ducted fan on the printer wont cool the nozzle nearly as much. this fan floods the bed and area with air.
Last edited by Farr0wn3d on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:14 pm

In all fairness I thought I would post up and make mention that I assembled my V6 with the 25watt cartridge to see how it would perform, and while I am only using it at 250C and no bed fan, it has no problems maintaining temp and it gets up to temp quite quickly as well. Since I bitched and made a scene about the 40watt/25watt bait-and-switch (as I saw it) I thought it was only fair that I mention that so far its not as bad as I expected. the real test will be when I begin printing with hotter materials and with the fan on. but for now this is adequate :)

insta

Post by insta » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:36 pm

The struggle at 220C is most likely PID taking over and being improperly tuned, especially if it climbs steadily to 220C and stops right there. Inadequately sized heaters would climb steadily to about half that, then spend an hour slowly creeping up to the 220C number.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org