Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
airscapes

Re: Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

Post by airscapes » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm

Hi Michael! I did this conversion also about 2 years ago and can provide you a config but I would suggest you follow the instructions provided on the Duet sight. The current version of firmware is much higher than that of what I have.. hate updating firmware and breaking a functional printer but I was kind of thinking about doing just that over the Christmas break. I have also install the BLTouch which I highly recommend and I can provide a customized extruder housing to facilitate using it on the M2. There is also a duet housing I put on Thingyverse to be able to place your new board in the same location as the rambo if you are not relocating it due to an enclosure.

You will absolutely need this pair of crimpers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A ... UTF8&psc=1
and should also have this kit, if you do not already have similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJ ... UTF8&psc=1

The connectors on the rambo have a very slight difference in spacing, some can be used without changing them but I would highly suggest the proper tool (above) as the pings are fing tiny.. Allow yourself a week or more to complete the project just to temper you expectations

Once you get your kit, allow yourself a good amount of time to read all the instructions.
Ping as needed!
Doug

mbonadio

Post by mbonadio » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:39 am

Hi Doug,

Found your thingaverse case, I will get that printed. I also bought the BLTouch so I'm definitely interested in the extruder housing, can I get that from you. I'm still going through the docs and prepping the wiring. Thanks for the information

Cheers
Michael

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:37 pm

I will attach the stl file for the extruder housing-BLTouch. I used a .25 Nozzle and Natural ABS to print it. I have used .35 and .5 to print extruder housings in the past but with the .25 there was very little clean up to do in the filament path when done. I do have a 1.75 and 2mm Drill bit for that that when needed. If you want I have a factory file from Simplifed 3d which is ready to go with custom supports only where needed. PM me your email as I don't think I can attach a factory file. Probably should use email anyway as you will want my config and macros at some point I would assume
I would highly suggest you work out the Duet and get comfy with it for a few months before diving into the BLtouch.
I am planning on upgrading my firmware over my Christmas PTO so I am hoping you will be my beta tester for the current Stable version :-). The board will not contain the newest version when you get it.. I would say go with the latest Stable release as they are always working on what is next.

BLT_tightenup V3 NO Shim.stl
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 744 times

mbonadio

Post by mbonadio » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:21 pm

Pm Sent

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:15 pm

Email and PM returned!