First post. My modded m2 ServoFi'd

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
brettb

Re: First post. My modded m2 ServoFi'd

Post by brettb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:58 pm

I think that you're talking about this campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... 3d-printer
jimc wrote:huh, i see. interesting mod. i saw a printer on kickstarter about 6 mos ago and it used servo motors. i dont know what ever happened to it or if it got funded or not. if you ever feel like sharing you should post here a list of materials with part #s and make the modded version of marlin avail for download. im sure it would be appreciated by some members. :mrgreen:

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Haha poor pup. Its gonna be a long cold winter lol.

chad

Post by chad » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks for the link. I looked at that guy and it is a neat idea but we are already much better using steppers. Look at the twisted vase, yuck.
arrg, lost the post....

There are a couple of problems with the path they chose. First, Backlash. This is the enemy of ALL mechanical systems. This is displayed as the slop between forward and reverse. It is hard to get rid of and plays a HUGE part in accuracy and precision for mechanical systems. The steppers that we are all using now are going to be much better that these in this regard. The stuff in am working on is going to be much better in every respect for just a little more money. As of now I do not know of any system that are as good for 1/5 the price. I am just trying to improve on an already capable platform to make the output that much better, quieter and more consistent.

chad
Attachments
d1c2fc4e6a8c32ad6763365845403191_large.png
d1c2fc4e6a8c32ad6763365845403191_large.png (328 KiB) Viewed 11663 times

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue May 03, 2016 3:37 am

Just found this thread via another forum linking to another forum linking to a blog with this in the comments. Just curious, did anything become of this? :?:
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

chad

Post by chad » Tue May 03, 2016 5:20 am

LOL, funny how things spread. The test that I did I found positive. I am working on some stuff at the moment.
Hopefully in ~6 months or so there will be some news...

chad

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue May 03, 2016 7:07 am

Rara, where did you see it?

Earlier today I posted a link to this thread in a hackaday article about using servos instead of steppers in 3D printers. I wonder if it got around.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Tue May 03, 2016 1:30 pm

chad wrote:
jsc wrote:I don't understand. You replaced the stepper motors with servos (presumably modified for continuous rotation)? How does that even work, I didn't think you could get enough accuracy with servos.
These are not RC car servos. These are brushed DC servos with encoders. They always know where they are. They will not ever skip a step or loose position.
They have 3 times the torque and twice the speed. And they are very quiet.

chad
So where does the encoder feedback connect on marlin? Is it handeled by the driver board?l

Rara

Post by Rara » Wed May 04, 2016 2:35 pm

jsc wrote:Rara, where did you see it?

Earlier today I posted a link to this thread in a hackaday article about using servos instead of steppers in 3D printers. I wonder if it got around.

Hackaday it was! :D So, it did get around a fair bit, or at least one person took notice..

Anyway, glad to hear it's still in work, Chad - all too often really cool stuff like this surfaces and then the creator falls off the face of the earth. Will be looking forward to seeing what is to come!
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

chad

Post by chad » Thu May 05, 2016 3:13 am

It's a project that goes in spits and spurts as we have time, life often gets in the way.
We have learned a lot about high end servo stuff, it is a LOT of work and involves a ton of gnarly math.
It turns out that there is a valid reason for high performance servo stuff to be expensive, It's hard.
We have made a bunch of progress this year and things are looking good. We'll see, if nothing else it's been a really interesting learning experience.
The hardest part is actually making it both good AND affordable.

chad