Heatsink for the V3B hot end

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
andreidanescu

Heatsink for the V3B hot end

Post by andreidanescu » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Having looked at the newer hot ends designs I figured the addition of a heatsink can't hurt the V3b.

This one fits perfectly. It's like it was designed for it :D ( http://ornithopters.co.uk/catalog/produ ... cts_id=935)
Just remove filament, unscrew the nozzle and threaded cylinder and slide this on the aluminium part.

I have also attached a picture of my setup.
Attachments
Heatsink.jpg
(612.41 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

Levi8than

Re: Heatsink for the V3B hot end

Post by Levi8than » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Are you attached to the plastic piece? Not sure how much that will help.

Regardless, make sure you rerun the PID setting script, as this will probably introduce ringing. It's on the wiki somewhere.
If you ever migrate to dual extruders and use the option to reduce the temperature on the idle extruder this may cause issues. Also, it may help if you selectively point a fan at it.

Neat idea. Let me know how it works.

andreidanescu

Re: Heatsink for the V3B hot end

Post by andreidanescu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 pm

No problems with the PID and temp control - I'm always monitoring temp on the graph.
My idea was that part is not supposed to get hot/ build heath anyway ( I think ... ) Also, the heat sink is getting airflow around it as the head moves for printing, avoiding any buildup of heat.

I am not sure how much it will do for normal ( ABS/ PLA) prints but I hope it will help on long prints and flexible filaments... Especially on flexible filaments :)
I'm working on a fan mount either for another fan or for changing the angle of the current one.

I hope to glue some thermocouples and monitor over a longer print soon :D