MG Prusa Mendel Extruder On M2

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
raynelang

MG Prusa Mendel Extruder On M2

Post by raynelang » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Just curious here, but I have a MG prusa mendel that I used before I got my M2. It used 3.0mm filament instead of 1.75. I have 7-8 1kg spools of 3.0mm palstic that I likely will not use anytime in the near future as I don't have the time to keep both printers in running condition. With the 24V M2 is it possible to connect my prusa mendel extruder and get the firmware setup to work with it? I haven't looked at any of the electrical details yet... just wondering if anyone has done a similar mod. I plan on using the M2 extruder motor but I would print a 3mm filament drive to hold the prusa mendel nozzle and heater.

All input is appreciated.... telling me this is a terrible idea and a good way to blow my M2 up is also great input :)
Rayne

jimc

Re: MG Prusa Mendel Extruder On M2

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 am

i remember someone posting a long time ago on the google group that they converted to 3mm filament. should just be some firmware settings, a filament drive and a hot end. with that said though i think it would be easier to burn the stuff up on your prusa than making the mods to the m2.

ErikAkia

Post by ErikAkia » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:35 am

That would be me. You can find it here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37774.
It was one of the first projects I did for my M2. That was a long time ago and besides the one roll I put through I have not used it since.
I worked fine for me and I even printed it in PLA. I did not do anything with the firmware, just changed the settings in my slicer. This was before S3D existed so I was using slic3r and we all know how well it does with support.
I think I designed that in AutoCAD and have not touched it in a long time as I am now using Solidworks. But if you want the originals I could send them to you.

raynelang

Post by raynelang » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:52 pm

This is exactly what I'm looking at doing. Very awesome you already have a part drawn up. Thanks!