All metal head/fan? 24v blower fans.

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
rgproduct.com

All metal head/fan? 24v blower fans.

Post by rgproduct.com » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi

Some advice please.

I am tempted to purchase one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171146824305? ... EBIDX%3AIT

For my M2 standard printer with single power supply. 24v i think.

As I understand it I would no longer need the primary head cooling fan- As it keeps the printed head cool? Or, does the fan also keep the PEEK insert cool?

If I replace the head to metal, Do I need to disconnect the feed to the old fan if now redundant?

Secondly, I have bought a number of very high quality 24V blower fans to make a true cooling ring blower round the hot end output. I have some spare if anyone is interested?

R

jimc

Re: All metal head/fan? 24v blower fans.

Post by jimc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:22 pm

I have heard muxed reviews on the micron extruders but if you choose to go that route i would get thier whole complete extruder with their all metal hotend, fans and mount. This way its a complete unit. For my e3d i still just have 2 fans. One for the bed and one is ducted around the cooling fins. I dont need one blowing on the filament drive

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:10 am

I wouldn't buy it based purely on their use of Comic Sans. :P

rgproduct.com

Post by rgproduct.com » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am

Yes, Comic Sans, a crime against sanity.

Well, I was under the impression if I got a metal head then I could lose the head fan completely, or do i need a full metal head for that (without the peek tube)?

It is all working fine but just asking.

rgproduct.com

Post by rgproduct.com » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:56 am

Odd that there is a fan blowing over the nozzle cooling fins (I appreciate that is why those fins are there). I can only assume it is to stop the heat softening the filament before it hits the heat zone. Allowing the feed mech to operate.

So I would not lose a fan, the fan that keeps the plastic cool now keeps the tube cool?

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/micro ... d.jpg.html

From listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181428780260? ... EBIDX%3AIT

?

R

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes you will always have a fan no matter what. It keeps the heat from creeping up the hot end and the hot zone the correct designed length.

rgproduct.com

Post by rgproduct.com » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks,

I am modelling a true ducted blower attachment to fully encircle the hot tip output. This will give slotted air output from the blower right near the filament lay area. Most of the manifold vents I have seen are open bottomed and this won't actually do much at all.

Currently the blower fan running across from one side works but I think there are issues with the far side of this and on overhang prints.

I will report...

R