PID Problem

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
werner

PID Problem

Post by werner » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:22 pm

I have a problem with PID settings
I designed and built a full metal filament drive for my M2
It works without problem with te original grovemount and an V3 hotend or an aluminum thermal core with a 12V 40W cartridge heater and original grovemount.
Now i have built and make an ED3V6 like hotend. (see foto)
After PID tuning, the hotend tempeature is fluctuating about 12 degreesC and max. temp is about 2 dergrees under the set temperature.
Any suggestions what the problem could be?
Foto.JPG
(554.17 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times

insta

Re: PID Problem

Post by insta » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:40 pm

werner wrote:I have a problem with PID settings
I designed and built a full metal filament drive for my M2
It works without problem with te original grovemount and an V3 hotend or an aluminum thermal core with a 12V 40W cartridge heater and original grovemount.
Now i have built and make an ED3V6 like hotend. (see foto)
After PID tuning, the hotend tempeature is fluctuating about 12 degreesC and max. temp is about 2 dergrees under the set temperature.
Any suggestions what the problem could be?
Who's heater cartridge is that, the stock one or the one from the E3D? The stocker is designed for higher voltage.

You may want to modify your firmware to apply a max power for the PID control, as well as have PID kick in earlier.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

werner

Post by werner » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:04 pm

The cartridge is a freely availeable 12V 40W one witch i used intensively in the past months with an original grovemount on an original filament guide and the aluminum filament guide
actually my PID max in the firmware is set to 255
shall i set it to about 400?
will this change kick the PID in earlier?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:33 pm

The max pid will need to be changed is there is an inital overshoot that is so high that you get an error and cant do your pid autotune sequence. You dont want to raise the max pid. You want to lower it. With my e3d 12v on my 19v machine my max pid is at 150. If you have a 24v machine and a 12v cartridge then youll want that even lower. Did you do a pid autotune?

werner

Post by werner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:54 am

Problem solved
It was my fault. After running an autotune i overlooked that i have to entry the displayed new numbers with M301 bevor i could store them with M500.
Thanks for your help.