E3Dv6 with Ninjaflex on the M2

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
abillionhorses

E3Dv6 with Ninjaflex on the M2

Post by abillionhorses » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Hey guys! I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've seen others using the E3Dv6 hotend with the M2 to print Ninjaflex, but I've had no luck! I actually bought the E3Dv6 specifically so I could print Ninjaflex, too. It works a little better than the V3B hotend, meaning that the filament slides much more easily through the extuder block and doesn't get jammed in that sense. The problem I am having is that the little smooth wheel that lays against the filament as it comes in against the extruder gear either doesn't contact the filament enough, doesn't have enough friction, or (in one circumstance) will have too much friction if tightened too much and will push and jam the filament around the gear etc.

I am desperate, and I know it is possible. I've gotten the Ninjaflex to feed slowly with pressure from my hand...maybe I just need to slow down the extrusion? I am basically using my ABS settings. Is it just a matter of tweaking the friction on that smooth wheel? It seems inconsistent. I just can't get the damn filament to catch consistently in the extruder gear...did anybody get a modified smooth wheel that is rough so that it grabs better?

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!

jimc

Re: E3Dv6 with Ninjaflex on the M2

Post by jimc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I print ecoflex no problem but ninjaflex is softer. You do need to print really slowly. Turn your speed waaaaay down

insta

Post by insta » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:57 pm

I used Ninjaflex on the M2. Up the extrusion multiplier 25-30%, run it hot (250C) and sloooow. I think I was going 20mm/sec?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

abillionhorses

Post by abillionhorses » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks guys, hopefully I will be able to try this tonight and report back. Does anyone use the hotend fan to blow on the extruded filament, or is it not necessary for Ninjaflex? I was probably going about 80mm/s so it makes sense that I would need to slow down...the gear just cant pull the filament that quickly.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:54 pm

oh yeah thats way too fast. it actually cant push it that fast. it usually just winds up like a pretzel around the drive gear. i think the ecoflex i print at 25mm sec and like i said, the durometer of that is higher than ninjaflex.

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:40 am

Another trick to keep in mind - if you've been printing ABS and you want to switch to NinjaFlex you may have problems with the NinjaFlex not being able to push the ABS out of the nozzle. The trick seems to be switching from ABS to PLA, and then from PLA to NinjaFlex.

abillionhorses

Post by abillionhorses » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Thank you so much! I lowered the speed to 25mm/s and upped the extrusion multiplier by 25% and it instantly worked like a charm! I'm printing a baby Jabba the Hutt as we speak, I have the heated bed at 50C and hotend at 250C. I also decided to upgrade my filament guide arm to this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:240518

Woohoo success! Yall rock!

abillionhorses

Post by abillionhorses » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 am

Actually, while we are on the topic of Ninjaflex. Does anybody know of a softer or more rubbery material? The Ninjaflex smashes great in the hand, but I wish it were more stretchy and rubbery feeling. Instead of having a soft feel the finish has more of a slick plastic rubber feel. It's definitely cool but I wish it were a little less slick to the touch sort of like these if you remember them from the early 90's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mu0DGhs1Xs

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:07 am

ninjaflex is already borderline too soft to print so i dont think your getting much softer than that.