Mounting M2?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
MG_MLS

Mounting M2?

Post by MG_MLS » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Question- is it more helpful to quality of print and life of machine if it were on a Rock solid surface and or mounted to one?

Or, would it be better for it to be on some heavy duty springs that give a little?
I know that for some large equipment it will be mounted on springs or else it will have parts that break.

Thanks!

~Michael

pyronaught

Re: Mounting M2?

Post by pyronaught » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:12 am

I was kind of wondering this too. The rubber feet on the machine allow it to shake a lot more during fast movements like fills than if it were bolted to a solid surface. The question then is that bad or good?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

I've also been itching to try solid mounting mine figuring just like a mill it would be more precise that way. My printer actually moves around on my table after time if I do infill on thinner walls. The only thing that concerns me would this lead to the extruder mounts cracking more? I've already had to print a new beefed up one after the first 4 months.

Soon as I'm done with my current project I might just have to give it a try and see what happens.

-Steve

markb

Post by markb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:45 am

I have mine ratchet strap to its table mostly to prevent it from walking off the table.

cliffwarner

Post by cliffwarner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:58 pm

My M2 would do that as well when I first got it. I reduced the acelerations on my machine to improve the print quality and it no longer walks around. Print quality was improved as well. I implemented the change through the startup script in S3D by adding the line: M201 X900 Y900 Z200 E10000 to the starting G-Code.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:47 am

cliffwarner wrote:My M2 would do that as well when I first got it. I reduced the acelerations on my machine to improve the print quality and it no longer walks around. Print quality was improved as well. I implemented the change through the startup script in S3D by adding the line: M201 X900 Y900 Z200 E10000 to the starting G-Code.
Seems like the speed settings in the Other tab would override that macro being in the starting code block. I guess not if it is working for you though.

I was looking at the Ending code and saw the M84 command. In another thread someone was mentioning the issue of the platform dropping hard to the bottom after a print and one solution to that could be to just remove the M84 command or lower the platform with a G1 Z command prior to the M84 command so that it doesn't have far to drop.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:53 am

Acceleration is not the same thing as print/travel speed. The extruder can't go from zero to the target speed instantaneously. Acceleration controls how fast it attempts to ramp up. The S3D advanced tab sets those target speeds, the M201 controls the steepness of the ramp.

If you just remove the M84, the built in timeout will drop the table after a few minutes.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:08 pm

jsc wrote:Acceleration is not the same thing as print/travel speed. The extruder can't go from zero to the target speed instantaneously. Acceleration controls how fast it attempts to ramp up. The S3D advanced tab sets those target speeds, the M201 controls the steepness of the ramp.

If you just remove the M84, the built in timeout will drop the table after a few minutes.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't read the original post carefully enough. I'm surprised there is not also an acceleration setting in S3D the way there is in other CNC controllers.

Here's a useful link I found that defines all the macros specific to the Rambo board: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code