Platform Leveling

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jsc

Re: Platform Leveling

Post by jsc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:16 pm

I thought it was a common metaphor, reflecting the aims of Soviet engineering: simplicity, reliability, and value for money. But on further research, it turns out that they were not as reliable as in the US, so maybe it's a bad analogy. Anyway, what I was trying to get across was that M2s are rugged, simple, and easy to maintain.

mathisyourfriend

Re: Platform Leveling

Post by mathisyourfriend » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54 pm

insta wrote:
mathisyourfriend wrote:"I think, too, the kind of people who choose an M2 over other printers are those willing to prioritize a sort of Soviet locomotive approach to build quality over ease of use."

We won the "Cold War" but still use their rockets to get up to the Space Station.

I don't know why but your comment made me laugh out loud. I can't believe Rick et al are commies. Their printer design is too cool.
I think it was more how the Russians were like "truck with 28 wheels got stuck in mud, so we made truck with 30 wheels" -- although I also don't get how it applies to the M2.

I took it as they both have a rugged design that just works for "generations" (soviet rockets and the M2). How many new printers (and generations of them) have come along since the M2?
The M2's also just so cool looking (unlike most soviet tech).
Sorry for the clumsy analogy.