anyone using all metal Micron extruder + hotend?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Sean

anyone using all metal Micron extruder + hotend?

Post by Sean » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:55 pm

is anyone using an all metal Micron extruder + hotend being sold on ebay? if yes please share your thoughts and pics.

Sean

jimc

Re: anyone using all metal Micron extruder + hotend?

Post by jimc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 pm

i dont know of any members here who are using it. i have seen it, it looks very nice but have heard all kinds of mixed reviews on their stuff from people using it on other printers. the all metal filament drive looks great but i have never had an issue with the stock style drive either. if i remember right the issue was always the hot end design. even if it is good, with makergear having the v4 now i dont see a reason to go that route. getting parts and having them shipped all the way from Israel can be a print killer if something fails or you need a nozzle or something.

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:16 am

jimc wrote:i dont know of any members here who are using it. i have seen it, it looks very nice but have heard all kinds of mixed reviews on their stuff from people using it on other printers. the all metal filament drive looks great but i have never had an issue with the stock style drive either. if i remember right the issue was always the hot end design. even if it is good, with makergear having the v4 now i dont see a reason to go that route. getting parts and having them shipped all the way from Israel can be a print killer if something fails or you need a nozzle or something.
thank you for good points jimc. I have not been able to see a pic/video of a V4 setup or even the hot end itself either single or dual so far, so I have no idea what it looks like. I have had the stock filament drive broken in the middle of a fourteen hour print a couple of times. I also like the idea of a spring pushing the idler on the filament. a side from good points that you mentioned about the Micron, I was also wondering if the all metal setup would be too heavy resulting in more vibrations and slower printing.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:23 am

here is a massive thread on it

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1606

if your having trouble with the stock filament drive breaking then go on thingiverse and print out the one from rslivers. print it in abs at 80-90% infill. you wont have an issue after that.

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:34 am

jimc wrote:here is a massive thread on it

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1606

if your having trouble with the stock filament drive breaking then go on thingiverse and print out the one from rslivers. print it in abs at 80-90% infill. you wont have an issue after that.
I saw rsilver's filament drive for v6 e3d but not for v3b. I read through that massive thread but didn't find a good pic of V4 setup.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:56 am

i think dale posted pic on or near the last page. here is a link to the rsilver drive. i think the first file listed is for the v3b.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:267137/#files

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:01 am

There's also eburt's rsilvers' mods: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:433292

There isn't really a detailed list of changes, but he's thickened some areas and removed the unused lower nut traps.

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:16 am

thanks guys for the info, I finally got to see the V4. I am not going dual right now. I am mostly printing copter parts in ABS and my prints are usually longer than 12 hours each. I was wondering if anything was to gain for me if I replaced my v3b with a e3d v6?

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:46 am

The v4 is also available as a single extruder.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

The Micron looks nice, I've wanted to try it. The same guys have produced a variety of other M2 upgrades, but as far as I know nobody on the forum is running them. I'd probably have it by now if it was a $300 upgrade, rather than $500, but for the price (and availability) the dual V4 wins out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org