Single V4 Extruder First Look.

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
sthone

Single V4 Extruder First Look.

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:05 am

V4-001.jpg
V4-001.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
This is a first Look at the Single V4 Extruder. As with the printer everything comes nicely packaged in zip lock bags. While the instructions are pretty straight forward some of the pictures are a little dark and hard to see so here is a quick run down with some more pictures of my installation. (assuming I did things right.)

V4-002.jpg
V4-002.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
Here we have all the bits and pieces of the Kit laid out.

V4-003.jpg
V4-003.jpg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
After removing all of the V3b Parts the first step was to install the new Belt Clamp.

V4-004.jpg
V4-004.jpg (47.15 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
Next the new Mounting Plate is attached to the Belt Clamp using the new longer screws. Don't try to reuse the old washers, if you do the screws won't reach the nuts (I use blue Locktite on all the screws on my printer.)

V4-005.jpg
V4-005.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
The Motor mount is is then attached to the mounting plate and the X Carriage, then the motor can be remounted. (I use a beefed up version.)
Last edited by sthone on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sthone

Re: Single V4 Extruder Fisrt Look.

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 am

V4-006.jpg
V4-006.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 12689 times
V4-007.jpg
V4-007.jpg (54.15 KiB) Viewed 12689 times
The Hot End Assembly was then mounted to the Mounting Plate.

V4-008.jpg
V4-008.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 12689 times
Next the Filament Drive Assembly is installed to the Motor.

V4-009.jpg
V4-009.jpg (70.5 KiB) Viewed 12689 times
A little rearranging of the fan screws was next. I use a different lower fan bracket so my setup is a little different than the stock mount.

V4-010.jpg
V4-010.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 12689 times
Here the wires are zip tied back in place.

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:19 am

V4-011.jpg
V4-011.jpg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
... and this is what the almost finished V4 looks like.

V4-012.jpg
V4-012.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
The Z stop end clamp needs replacing also, after removing the stock clamp the LED needs to be bend into position to fit into the new clamp.

V4-013.jpg
V4-013.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
After pushing the LED into the new clamp and mounting the End Stop Switch the clamp is attached back onto the Shaft.

V4-015.jpg
V4-015.jpg (53.02 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
Here you can see the cool part about the V4, the hot the Hot End is separate from the Filament Drive. You can make out the Black Filament between the two.

V4-014.jpg
V4-014.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 12690 times
After all is said and done these are the left over parts. So far so good now I just have to go print something to test it out.
-Steve

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:32 am

good write up! that is a tiny thing. one thing i wonder about is why is there still a 40mm fan blowing on the filament drive. when i went with the e3d about 8 mos ago i totally eliminated that fan since it has the 30mm one blowing on the cooling fins on the hot end itself. the filament drive doesnt get hot. my printer has been running all day and i just felt the extruder drive gear shaft and its room temp. no air blowing on it at all. hmm interesting.

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 am

jimc wrote:one thing i wonder about is why is there still a 40mm fan blowing on the filament drive.
I was going to ask that same question... with the separation between the hot end and the filament drive now I would think it was pretty pointless myself. I would love to get rid of it, I'm on my third one those things are magnets for allen wrenches :lol: I'm going to wait and see what the experts think first before removing it though.

-Steve

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:50 am

yea..got me :? my printer goes 16 hrs a day 7 days a week and i havent had one for 8 mos. never had a bit of trouble or saw any negative effects. its probably just there so 2 12v fans can be run in series on a 24v machine. lol

insta

Post by insta » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 am

sthone wrote:
jimc wrote:one thing i wonder about is why is there still a 40mm fan blowing on the filament drive.
I was going to ask that same question... with the separation between the hot end and the filament drive now I would think it was pretty pointless myself. I would love to get rid of it, I'm on my third one those things are magnets for allen wrenches :lol: I'm going to wait and see what the experts think first before removing it though.

-Steve
It was originally because the extruder motor itself ran hot, and after a dozen hours the heat would creep up to the gear and start melting PLA. Whether or not that's still the case I'm not sure, but that's the historic reason.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

benavery

Post by benavery » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:59 am

Anyone have recommendations on what kind of settings to start with for the V4 (versus v3b). I recall seeing mention of reducing coast/retraction. Should we be able to use the same temps as v3b ?

nelsond6

Re: Single V4 Extruder First Look.

Post by nelsond6 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Thanks sthone for posting this first look. I went ahead and ordered it as it seemed a little easier to install then the E3dv6. Plus I really want to support MakerGear.

-Dan

Volcom7114

Re: Single V4 Extruder First Look.

Post by Volcom7114 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Hey eveyone. Im pretty new to the whole 3D printing thing but I have been a machinist for many years and so I don't think its going to be hard to catch on as I use BobCad-Cam v27 and I also have a seat of V26 witch I use for my CNC lathe. Now this is all just a hobby of mine as I'm a disabled vet so after 16 years in the Navy and 6 tours to Iraq my luck ran out and my team and I got hit with an IED witch has left me in a wheelchair (I can walk a little but not far and with a cane) so now that that's out the way and you all know my background a bit keep in mind I'm bullheaded lol :)...

Alright so here is the run down of what I bought yesterday-- of course the MakerGear M2, the LCD display, and extra printer table (the glass as I have two younger boys lol), also got Simplify3D software?? and 8 spools of filament 4 of the ABS and 4 of the PLA.. Now with that all said and as I referred at the top that I'm disabled well I also have a wife that's a full time college student going to be a Physician's assistant and the hour and a half one way to school and back home again eats up gas=money an the books each semester kill my bank account so I'm poor also lol it took me a long time to save up to get this printer and I cant wait to get it in 2-3 week's as I got the Kit form. Now I have read a lot about this machine and was going to go with the new MakerBot 5th Gen but the price just wasn't right for me an I was hearing a lot of mixed reviews where this machine seemed to be more level across all aspects. Now I have my master's in Mechanical Engineering and a miner in Biological warfare and no I'm not a genus I promise it just sounds good that's all lol. So after I get the kit built and the printer up and running what would be the first thing to do as far as mods go, I have seen a lot about the dual head extruders and the v4 extruder but what would be the first things you would do? Is there a list of mods in a order of any sort?

Also I have a machine shop from a knee mill and manual 12 x 36 lathe to a CNC production lathe and a tool cutter grinder oh and a surface grinder. :D

Thanks guys and God Bless Big D