thread-locking insert for Z-stop screw

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
wmgeorge

Re: thread-locking insert for Z-stop screw

Post by wmgeorge » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Ed I like your idea and it looks like its a duh thing. But my little mod takes all of 5 minutes and a cost of maybe $3. Once I get it set for like when I had to change for the PEI surface it should not need adjusted all that often.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:15 pm

jsc wrote:I lack a parts bin stuffed with brass shims and machine tools
Hey, now you have motivation to stock up... [evil grin]

The only reason I used the fancy brass was that I had it. You could bend a sheet metal snippet, drill a few holes, and it'd work just as well.

askernas

Post by askernas » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 pm

I took a normal wingnut and screwed it in from under the gantry holding the build plate.
This means, I can adjust the Z endstop screw without tools at all.

I losen the wingnut, then gently rotate the screw, then fix it in place with the wingnut again.

Cheap, and works, and much easier than tools.
Up until tomorrow, that is, when I'll be permanently doing auto bed tramming from then on.. =)

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:09 pm

I took the supplied Stainless Steel bolt, purchased a 4 mm rod coupler, yes they make them that small. Used primarily for coupling two pieces of threaded rod together. Screwed the rod coupler up against the bolt head and snugged it tight. Added a short spring to act as a thread locker (think idle adjusting screw on a carburetor.) and re-installed from the bottom up. Then re-adjusted the height to where it was before. Its finger adjustable and self locking.

I did re-install the nut on the top of the screw to make a wider surface for the micro switch to hit. I used Green Locktite to hold (glue) the nut but a dab of super glue would accomplish the same thing. It took longer for me to type this than actually do it! The rod coupler acts as a spacer for the tension spring and also as a thumb screw.

Yes I did try to find a metric M4.7 thumb screw but very rare and expensive in the longer length needed.

The spring was as 7/32 x 1 1/4 inch compression spring, Part#88254 Handi Pack trimmed about 1/4 inch shorter, Rod coupler was Metric 4 mm coupling nut coarse Part# 88312 Handi Pack both found at local hardware or home improvement center.
After the picture was taken I did go back and trim one more loop off the spring.
Adjusttop.jpg
AdjustBottom.jpg
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router