Mic 6 tooling plate

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

Re: Mic 6 tooling plate

Post by insta » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 am

Jules wrote:
Slipshine wrote:
jimc wrote:Unless jin has different results, i dont think glue stick works with the plate for some reason. All ypu should need is that garnier fructise #5. It should hold almost anything you throw at it
Which Side?

I really hate to give up on old reliable but that is my fallback plan.
I think those who use the hairspray use it on the blasted side.

Slip, you need to try a PEI sheet on the smooth side - holds like a son-of-a-b, and no adhesive. (And you still have the blasted side for hairspray if you run across something that needs it.)
You don't really have the bead-blasted side available, because you dont want to be sandwiching the PEI against the heat-spreader underneath...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:01 am

I like living on the ragged edge....... :twisted:

Actually true....I haven't tested it yet, so for all I know the PEI might melt if I take the bed temp up too high. But it's likely to only be in the 100°C temp range max, so I thought I'd give it a whack and see. (Will forewarn when I try it so you guys can send the fire department to put my house out!) :lol:

insta

Post by insta » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 am

You just want a second bed, silly :lol:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:17 am

Thanks for the input. Ill get back to trials in a day or so. Work got crazy today. I really appreciate it.

Msculpt

Post by Msculpt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:17 pm

Has anyone who has made these ever had the plates arrive from Mcmaster and find they weren't flat?
I just made three and didn't check them for flatness first. Only when I went to install them did I realize they were totally warped. The worst one has an 1/8" crown from corner to corner.
It may have been user error cutting them with a band saw, but I can't see how the heat or torque from the waste piece peeling away could cause so much deflection. The result is obviously unusable unless I can find a way to have them milled flat again.
I guess I need mesh leveling to go with my mic6 plates now... :shock:

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Holy crap! 1/8". Na it ahould never be out like that. You may see .001" variance across the plate but thats it. You might get another couple thousandths from the x axis on the printer being bowed down. Never 1/8" though. That doesnt even sound right

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 am

That does seem a bit excessive. It may have been bent. I have heard where one side is better than the other.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:02 pm

If you used the printer to check for flatness I am guessing that is your issue. I have been buying mine from ebay and have checked every one with the comparator and they have been well withing defined specifications.

wwwyzard

Post by wwwyzard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Hello everyone, was just wondering if everyone has been using mic 6 for build surface still?
Sorry I'm late to the party, I haven't printed much in two years after I got my M2 Rev E due to work demands, but have been recently trying to do some things with it and remembered my old frustrations.

I'm using the glass that came with the printer (even bought a 2nd from MG initially), tried blue tape, kapton, buildtak (currently in use) but all prints suffer from the glass being bowed in the middle, and the further from center (where z starting height is set to) it gets the worse the adhesion is.

I've leveled with a digi-dial-indicator and got all 4 corners dead even to 0.00, but running X axis across the plate shows a +0.13" to +0.18" change in Z height... This has been the bane of my printing experience needless to say, have only been successful with small prints that do no exceed the center/plateau of the build area.

I just ordered a BLTouch unit to install (going to follow jturrell's instructions on here),with hopes that the auto z-height adjusting during print will accommodate for the bow.

While I was at it was researching alternative build surfaces which lead me here, in lieu of Zebra Plates seemingly being MIA? (are these still available?) Is Jimc (dont know how to tad) still making Mic 6 plates these up?

Thanks in advance, sorry I'm a bit behind the times :oops:

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm

i havent been on the forum other than a couple times the past year myself. i still use mic6 with hairspray on both my printers. wouldnt use anything else. it works for pretty much everything. as for the flatness, its probably not your build platform. you need to shim the x-rail to match the plate. not in all but in most cases its not the plate, its the rail that gets a very slight bow downward in the center. believe it or not, this is from the belt tension. the tighter the belt the more it will bow down in the middle. usually when anyone complains about the flatness the gap is usually tight in the center and bigger gap around the perimeter. in any case, get some shim stock, loosen the rail and shim it to match the plate