Mic 6 tooling plate

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Slipshine

Re: Mic 6 tooling plate

Post by Slipshine » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:19 am

I use the glue right on the glass for
Pla Abs PetG, Ninja Flex and some other flex. I touch it up when it starts to wear thin. I'll clean an replace the glue stick every 2 months.

The other day I tried some Abs with is a bed temp of 110. I normally only went to 100. When it cooled it took a chunk out of the glass. 1st problem like that in 3 years.
I am guessing the higher temp isn't as good for them. I am using the back side and have a backup plate but after seeing the popularity of the mic plate it may be time to consider something different. I just don't want to loose the ability to everything without bed prep.

So any input is appreciated.

Quark

Post by Quark » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:40 am

So those who are using the plate, anyone has seen issues with the Z-motor struggling? Someone mentioned it might be an issue. I'm really tempted to try one of these, but I still have a zebra plate and PEI I haven't had a chance to use yet. I'm running a production run of parts of pla on glass, and its working good so I don't want to mess with it yet. :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:45 am

all the steppers have more than enough oomph to throw that plate around without missing a beat. been running a plate on both my m2's. one for prob 2 years and the other maybe a year. combined with 1000's of hrs of printing.

Quark

Post by Quark » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:05 am

shucks, might have to hit you up for one in a few months. Seems like this is the absolute solution to all the adhesion and levelness problems? just spray some hairspray and good to go?

I print mostly pla and PETG, but want to try ePC and nylon.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:19 am

well it locks down everything pretty good and it is the flattest surface you'll find but dont get the wrong idea and think that you will be printing a 6"x8" square box out of abs and end up with no warping. it doesnt defy the laws of physics :lol:. most nylons stick but again you wont keep nylon from warping no matter what. this new carbon nylon esun is coming out with is another story. in any case the plate is super even heat, extremely flat, durable, will last the life of the printer and its just repeatable and consistent. works exactly the same for me every single time.

Quark

Post by Quark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:58 am

True, its just so darn sexy on the M2. I dable with some machine work, and I just love aluminum. I've only encounter a few issues trying to print something at capacity of the plate, but nothing I couldn't overcome with a squished 1st layer. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this, see what else you guys come up with. :D

Kameamalu

Post by Kameamalu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my recent success with the mic6 plate.

A friend of ours wanted a utensil organizer to fit in one of her drawers. The dimensions she gave me was 24" long x 7.5" wide x 2" tall. This meant printing almost edge to edge for multiple prints. The design was simple, but required multiple 12 hour prints for the larger pieces.

As you all know, printing edge to edge for 12 hours presents numerous challenges; one of which was getting a level build surface across the whole printer bed. I can honestly say that without the mic6 plate, i probably would have given up.

The end result printed beautifully and I am super impressed with the M2's reliability. I know that once the first layer is printed, I can walk away knowing that the print will be fine.

RJD

Post by RJD » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello jimc,

I am interested in purchasing a tooling plate and having you process it. What is your contact info? Thanks.

Ron

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:00 am

ron, sent you a pm

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Anyone sticking their heaters directly to the Mic6 plate? I kinda want to go this route while also putting the HBP wires through a Molex connector.

thoughts?