Mic 6 tooling plate

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jimc

Re: Mic 6 tooling plate

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:16 am

haha what the hell are you printing on that thing jules? looks like a table cloth......or do you like to get fancy and spray your hairspray through a doily to make pretty patterns.... :lol:

i know i have posted this before at some point and im sure you know but i have done 4 of these plates in the past week and a half so.....

strongest bond = garnier fructise #5 extreme hold
medium bond = aqua net

starting with a clean plate spray the first coat super wet and heavy. let dry then spray a medium coat. aquanet might require 2 wet coats and 1 med since its more watery. the blasting is to get the hairspray to bond with the plate so your trying to fill the pores up and end with a smooth hairspray skin across the plate. between prints only a light mist is required to touchup. let the plate cool before you remove the prints. i have found the plate to work with all plastics. nylon, abs, pla, petg, tpu, etc. once you do 10-15 prints or the buildup gets too thick then wash in the sink with hot water and a scotchbrite pad or back side of a sponge. let the plate dry and do the initial hairspray application again. you should have a dead flat print surface that will last the life of the printer.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:30 am

Say what? There's no adhesive on that plate.....that's your blasting job! (Beautiful isn't it? Early William Morris I believe.) ;)

(Well, as a prank, I must say......this one fell rather flat. I'll have to up my game with this crew. 8-) )
Last edited by Jules on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:32 am

Got mine today too :shock: wow this this is sweet. Can't wait till tomorrow to give it a try, just gotta print some new corners first.

Thanks again Jim :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:38 am

haha yeah i blasted flowers in it just for you jules :lol:

cool steve. looks like everyone got theirs without any usps hiccups

actually jules now you got me thinking. i have sandblast stencil for my vinyl cutter. a nice etched makergear logo on the plate would be pretty cool

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:48 am

jimc wrote:haha yeah i blasted flowers in it just for you jules :lol:

cool steve. looks like everyone got theirs without any usps hiccups

actually jules now you got me thinking. i have sandblast stencil for my vinyl cutter. a nice etched makergear logo on the plate would be pretty cool
Love it when great ideas come together! :D

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Mine just came in Friday -- thanks jimc!

Printing first print with it now, PC-Plus White with Jim's hairspray application recipe and Garnier Fructis no. 5. This printer may finally have reached its ultimate state. So happy:

insta

Post by insta » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:06 pm

You should look into the X/Y bearings instead of the nylon bushings for the belts.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Has anyone tried the purple elmers glue stick with one of Jim's mic6 plates.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:06 am

I have and i know others have in the past BUT i cant really give good feedback on that since i cant get glue stick to work with anything.....ever. Ive tried it on the mic6, glass, blue tape, you name it. The stuff is like a stick of wax for me. It repels all plastics i try with it lol

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:07 am

I'm back to glue stick with MIC6 after playing around with hairspray. Hairspray's nice, but I don't like to spray while it's mounted on the bed because of overspray. And since I've moved to PLA and PETG almost completely, and they both work, haven't had to try anything more exotic.

esun PLA+, btw, is pretty nice stuff. Cheap, prints exactly like regular PLA, pretty durable.