Mic 6 tooling plate

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Bratag

Re: Mic 6 tooling plate

Post by Bratag » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:46 am

jimc wrote:the default accelleration in the firmware is 3000 on x and y. most of us have lowered that anyway to reduce ringing. mine is at 1000. if you like it fast then just lower the y and keep the x at default. not sure what you mean about the variance in length and width. i guess the plate wasnt cut to size right?
It was within about .5mm - that was enough to slightly overlap one of the clips on one corner a very very small amount

So you would recommend lowering the accel and leaving the xy the default - that makes sense. I assume its a firmware change/upload or can I do it through commands?

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:48 am

Are you using jimc's adjustable corner clips? They work very well.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:49 am

You can adjust accelerations by putting g-code in your startup script:
M201 X1000 Y1000 ; lower default accelerations

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:54 am

jsc wrote:You can adjust accelerations by putting g-code in your startup script:
M201 X1000 Y1000 ; lower default accelerations
Awesome - thanks - and yes I am using his clips - its a snug fit all the way round - I doubt I even need to tighten the little tabs but I still do

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:57 am

i guess you didnt cut the plate yourself and you ordered it that size? supply companies usually just rough cut stuff. i do it here and make sure its really close to 8x10 and also thats its square. as jin said just toss that 201 line in your start script and your good to go. here is a link to a blog that we have been passing around forever has some good info.

http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=773

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 am

jimc wrote:i guess you didnt cut the plate yourself and you ordered it that size? supply companies usually just rough cut stuff. i do it here and make sure its really close to 8x10 and also thats its square. as jin said just toss that 201 line in your start script and your good to go. here is a link to a blog that we have been passing around forever has some good info.

http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=773

Yeah I ordered it - I don't have the facilities for cutting something like that myself. That being said its not that it was a bad cut - it was within the tolerances they gave, just happened to be + on one corner

eddyogi

Post by eddyogi » Sun May 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi guys! I'm getting really interested in a Mic-6 for my (soon to arrive, I hope) M2. Only problem is I'm in Australia and I can't find a retailer online that sells this stuff. :-(

Any of you guys know where I might be able to order one already cut to size for the M2?

I have noticed that there is a 6061 aluminium tooling plate that is available locally, do you think this is as flat as Mic-6? I heard this is rolled or pressed and not cast so I'm worried it won't stay flat when heated.

Thank you in advance for your inputs! Greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
3D printing enthusiast

Makergear M2
Makerbot Replicator 2, heavily modified
Robox, kickstarter version
Mojo

insta

Post by insta » Sun May 17, 2015 11:28 pm

6061 won't cut it, you need a cast piece. Check eBay, most sellers will ship overseas if you ask nicely. :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

eddyogi

Post by eddyogi » Sun May 17, 2015 11:32 pm

I did check eBay. But the fact only ones I saw are huge and the shipping costs 3 times more than the actual cost of the Muc-6. But I will ask them if they can cut to size and ship a smaller item to me, it might be cheaper. I hope.
3D printing enthusiast

Makergear M2
Makerbot Replicator 2, heavily modified
Robox, kickstarter version
Mojo

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon May 18, 2015 2:23 am

im sure you can get cast tooling plate locally somewhere. call a machine shop and find out where you can get it. unless its prepped correctly as well it wont do much for you. it needs to be fully glass beaded and rubbed down with a red scotchbrite pad to give the correct texture. the finish should be similar to frosted glass or if you've ever felt 1500grit sandpaper. perhaps you can find a machine shop that can order it, cut it and blast it as well.