Micron All Metal Extruder Upgrade

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
rsilvers

Re: Micron All Metal Extruder Upgrade

Post by rsilvers » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Print the parts in PETG and they won't crack again.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:34 am

After jamming this damn thing up one too many times I just decided to remove this thing and go back to the proven stock V4 setup.

After removing it though and giving it a quick once over I think I can fix the problem pretty easy. (at least for easy for me anyway because I have the tooling ;) )

MicronFix-001.jpg
MicronFix-001.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 11070 times
The problem with this extruder is the gap after where the filament leaves the gear and bearing is huge (red arrow) which causes the filament to just bunch up if it feeds to fast. (and by to fast I mean any speed.) Thinking of running any kind of flexible filament through something like that... well it's just not going to work.

MicronFix-002.jpg
MicronFix-002.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 11070 times
To compound the problem the beveled relief they put into the bottom just makes the problem even that much worse.

MicronFix-003.jpg
MicronFix-003.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 11070 times
From where the filament leaves the drive gear to the bottom of that relief is about .30 of an inch. (like I said HUGE!)

I plan on drilling out the bottom of the extruder with a 3/16" bit and then making an insert much like they have in the top (green arrow in pictures) I should be able to fit this insert close enough to the drive gear that it should take care of the jamming.

This is all in theory anyway, I'm either going to fix this thing or make it totally unusable (which it almost already is so no loss if I fail.)

-Steve

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:06 am

MicronFix-004.jpg
MicronFix-004.jpg (294.87 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
No going back now... I drilled the extruder out with a 3/16" bit.

MicronFix-005.jpg
MicronFix-005.jpg (147.55 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
This is the quick prototype insert... I left little room for error with this thing.

MicronFix-006.jpg
MicronFix-006.jpg (233.59 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
It might need some more tweaks like rounding the edges so it doesn't shave the filament but once it's mounted in the extruder there shouldn't be any way for that filament to bunch up now. I'm hoping a simple set screw will hold it in there for now. (still need to drill for that.)

Not bad for a hours worth of work, now I just have to pull all the stock V4 stuff back off the printer and remount this thing and give it a good test. I might have to go for the flexible stuff right off the bat.

-Steve

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:15 pm

looks good. the only difference from this to what other extruders do to handle fixable filament is they round where it comes to a point with your design.
I doubt it is necessary as in these extruders you could possibly get your fingers in there and its a non issue with this one.
I like what you did. how did you fabricate the insert.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:45 pm

innkeeper wrote:looks good. the only difference from this to what other extruders do to handle fixable filament is they round where it comes to a point with your design.
I doubt it is necessary as in these extruders you could possibly get your fingers in there and its a non issue with this one.
I like what you did. how did you fabricate the insert.
The pointed end may be a little extreme but I was trying to leave as little room as I could for the filament to go places besides the hole.

To make it I started by drilling a 5/64" hole in a piece of round stock aluminum on the lathe and then turned that piece down to fit the 3/16" hole I drilled in the extruder. (I went with a loose fit but a press fit would be better) The pointy tip was then cut on a mill just using a 1/2 end mill using the TLAR method (That Looks about Right) I planned on redoing it (once I had all the measurements of the prototype) so the insert had a base on it so it would fill in the recess on the bottom of the extruder where I made the filler plug before, but even as tight as I made that insert to the gear and bearing the flex stuff still finds a way to bunch up and it just won't feed. I ran some PLA through it and it seemed to work great for that so I think it's an improvement but I still have to test it with PETG and ABS to be sure. I needed to print some things so I'm back to the V4 setup for now but I'll get around to testing this thing out more sooner or later. (more later probably) On a positive note I'm getting like NASCAR fast at changing these things back and forth. :D

Just for anyone who finds and reads this thread in the future I can honestly say do not waste your money on one of these Micron extruders they are just not worth the money/effort and do not work any better then the V4 setups

-Steve

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Darn, yea i don't have a lathe, only a mill (HF sieg x2 mini mill)...i was hoping to do the same fabrication, i am that confident its going to work...

in the hopes you had actually used some tubing, did find a source for some od 3/16 - .09 id aluminum tubing, that works out to ~2.3mm id though, little large..
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:48 pm

If the insert I made will work for your setup you can have it. You would just have to drill the bottom of the extruder for it and then drill and tap for a 6/32" set screw to hold it in there.

If you want it just PM me you address and it yours.

-Steve

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:45 pm

PM Sent
Thanks!

The drilling and drill and tap for a set screw is pretty straight forward, that I am set up for.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:24 pm

MicronFix-007.jpg
Here's where I put the set screw. Give me a few days to take measurements and I'll get that insert out to you.

-Steve

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:11 am

Awsum, thank you