M2 Auto-Leveling

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
ednisley

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling

Post by ednisley » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:36 pm

insta wrote:make the plastic conductive again
Aye!

Drive off all those pesky volatiles and get yourself some pure carbon on that nozzle!

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:39 am

If you have retracted the filament. You have nothing to ooze out.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:43 am

PcS wrote:If you have retracted the filament. You have nothing to ooze out.
If that were true, then dual extrusion would be a cinch. Unfortunately, with the possible exception of good PLA filament, there's always something oozing no matter how much you retract. For the dual extruder, I've been retracting PETg 15 to 20mm in the inactive extruder, and it still oozes.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:27 am

Respectfully my experience differs from yours. I can see in dual extrusion the issue obviously. My machine warms a empty hotend up. By the time it reaches printing temperature any filament that might have been in the nozzle has long since burned out. I manually clean end then start print. It would be like putting a new nozzle on and never priming it. In dual extrusion I have seen videos of guys that literally back the filament out of the hot end and the print pauses of to the side until the ooze has quit and then starts the other color. :D

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:01 pm

For anyone that is interested I have hacked together a firmware for auto leveling that works with the VIKI controller. Its not 100% but it works.

jjones86

Post by jjones86 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:23 am

Bratag wrote:For anyone that is interested I have hacked together a firmware for auto leveling that works with the VIKI controller. Its not 100% but it works.
I'm interested. What do you mean it's not 100% though? You can e-mail me at jjones1986@gmail.com - Thanks!

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm

jjones86 wrote:
Bratag wrote:For anyone that is interested I have hacked together a firmware for auto leveling that works with the VIKI controller. Its not 100% but it works.
I'm interested. What do you mean it's not 100% though? You can e-mail me at jjones1986@gmail.com - Thanks!
There seems to be some issue with it detecting when an SDcard is inserted/removed. It might be my VIKI for all I know but it can be resovled easily enough by simply starting S3D or anything else that connects to the printer and forces a soft restart. After that I can disconnect the USB and everything is golden. A strange one and you may not have the same issue. Either way I will ping you tonight with the zip.

eddyogi

Post by eddyogi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:10 am

nelsond6 wrote: Hi guys. I finally attempted this auto bed leveling feature. So far from my limited testing, it seems to work.

Here is a video of it in action. https://youtu.be/V33DIzl-81I Sorry about my elementary video editing skills...
Great video. :)

I just printed out the requisite parts for this autolevelling upgrade. Can I ask some noob questions?

I have an M2 that is 24v with a silver and black z-axis stepper motor. I read on makergear wiki that there is a different firmware between what I have and a newer M2 with black z-axis stepper motor. Can I just download the firmware for my machine and just edit the autolevelling part using the firmware supplied in the makergear github site as a guide? My question might be a bit confusing, but what I would like to know is if there are other parts of the firmware that I have to modify apart from the autolevelling part?
nelsond6 wrote: M851 Z-9.4 ; set probe offset for z
Another noob question, you set Z to -9.4, is it because your probe is 9.4mm from your idea nozzle height? This is not 9.4mm to zero, is it?

Thanks in advance! :)
3D printing enthusiast

Makergear M2
Makerbot Replicator 2, heavily modified
Robox, kickstarter version
Mojo

economycar

Post by economycar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:23 am

Hi Josh, is it possible to get the STEP file for the inductive auto-leveling motor mount/sensor mount? I wanted to make a couple of changes for my setup. Thanks