E3D Dual Extruders OR???

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Volcom7114

Re: E3D Dual Extruders OR???

Post by Volcom7114 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:08 am

insta wrote:Bowden is inferior in just about every way on a moving-bed printer. On a gantry like the Ultimakers it's fine, because X and Y have the same mass, but it doesn't get you anything on the moving-beds because regardless of how lightweight X gets you still have the mass of Y "holding back" the acceleration.

One thing that may sway your opinion is that you can't use flex filaments on the bowdens...

Also, because the filament is fully constrained in a tube, the X axis moving doesn't tug on the filament at all. This is the case with the direct-drive setups as well.

Thanks for the input! Makes perfect sense and direct drive it is for sure as I do have a roll of semiflex and Ninjaflex I wanna use and i have great plans for :) I really like the direct drive to begin with and the way the M2 is built it's definitely one of the strongest frames I have seen on any printer.. What the link for the preorder of the dual V4's lack is whats included in the kit, do i need to buy another extruder stepper motor and gear? I noticed it says about the wiring harness witch I think i would just buy another one but other than that what do I need to get the printer ready for the dual V4's?

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:12 am

im sure someone that has dont it will chime in here but makergear is usually pretty thorough and complete. i doubt you would need anything additional. if its a kit i can bet it will have everything included down to the washers for the screws.

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:28 am

jimc wrote:im sure someone that has dont it will chime in here but makergear is usually pretty thorough and complete. i doubt you would need anything additional. if its a kit i can bet it will have everything included down to the washers for the screws.
jimc the way the kit was when i got it with extra nuts, bolts and washers and the awesome sucker I would think it would come with everything but being new to this and other than what i have seen on Thingiverse i haven't really seen a dual extruder kit you buy from thats a bolt on for your printer.. i really cant wait to get one of these it will be awesome!

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:01 am

I have a v4 dual beta. It came as an upgrade kit. Everything you need is included. You reuse some of the hardware you already have. The instructions were very thorough. I am what you might call mechanically disinclined, and I was able to install it.

Not to discourage you at all, but be aware that dual extruder printing comes with a whole extra set of headaches above and beyond regular 3D printing. You will want to be comfortable with editing gcode, and maybe have to learn a different slicer. Check out the v4 dual thread.

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Not to discourage you at all, but be aware that dual extruder printing comes with a whole extra set of headaches above and beyond regular 3D printing. You will want to be comfortable with editing gcode, and maybe have to learn a different slicer. Check out the v4 dual thread.[/quote]

Thanks for the input! I'm pretty sure that the learning curve will come easy to me once i have it in front of me its the whole forum thing and talking to others about something that we have in common is pretty new to me i guess it was just never of any interest until i saved enough to buy a 3D printer. All the wiki sites and such well all i can say is thank god for bookmarks lol

As far as G-code and even building computers and servers im pretty good at even tho its just a hobby i do here and there but when it comes to building, making and fixing things thats what im very good at, I grew up with my grandfather and father both machinist and gunsmiths and both with degrees in Mechanical Engineering i took it ferther and went into the Navy at 18 and then special forces but i let them pay for my degree :) i have my master's in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Bio Warfare.. Now being in Walter Reed Medical Center for 11 months and awake for only 3 of those months has left me disabled ( not the hospital of course but then again i dont remember so anything is possable but really they are awesome people there!) so i took up machining and foundry work as a hobby and a way to help people out.. I have a CNC lathe i use a lot its an Emco 220 (small high speed production lathe) also i have a Clausing 5914 12x36 lathe, Index knee mill 9x48" table, a Brown & sharp No2 surface grinder with an electromagnet chuck 6x18, an Elite tool cutter grinder, and well a 3D printer :) Since im ex military Solidworks gives you one seat to their software but i tend to use BobCad-Cam v26 & v27 the most.. so i think im set to go as far as g-code and really if i wanted to i could just make my own setup but i dont see the reason to spend the time on it when there are already proven systems that work and i dont want to make a project out of a project and so on witch can happen fast lol with all that said if anyone would need anything done i would be happy to help and i only ask that you dont pay me a dime and donate whatever you would feel is right or can afford to a cancer fund for kids that i help..

from getting hurt i have short term memory loss and i have no feeling in either of my legs now i can walk some but not far and not long so i use a Quickie Q7 wheelchair witch is about to be replaced by the new Q8 but even with that im only limited by my drive to do something and my meds to keep the pain away lol :D

Thanks to all of you its been great going through and reading all the post and Rick at MG for the help witch was awesome of them for sure!

now one more thing is it alright to post in a thread that hasn't been active for months or even a year?

insta

Post by insta » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:12 pm

You can necro a thread, as long as you're adding something useful and not just "thanks!" ;)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 pm

insta wrote:You can necro a thread, as long as you're adding something useful and not just "thanks!" ;)

Cool thats what i wanted to know. I've seen a few things in the subpost i guess its called that are older post but really good information but some of it is personalized and would be interesting to know for my needs.. Ok i think im good lol the printer is running awesome and i have my Raspi hooked up and working great and im getting great prints with it even better than i had ever thought you could get from a 3D printer so i know as i play with it and get better at fine tuning it that thing's will only get better!

I'm so happy i have to sit on both hands to keep from waving at everybody! :D