Fastbot BBP

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
PcS

Fastbot BBP

Post by PcS » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Ok. So I originally ordered a smoothie board to upgrade my printer,a fun little project. Unfortunately I put my order in right before they all went to the Midwest reprap festival. I waited three weeks to find out that my only option was to cancel my order and order again. Or submit payment by PayPal with my reference number. So this kind of irritated me so I instead ordered ...backed the fastbot bbp. I am looking forward to trying this board in my M2 .Has anybody had any experience with the smoothieboard ? What does everybody think about the bbp ??? looking forward to some insights .

jsc

Re: Fastbot BBP

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Earlier Smoothieboard thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1789 Looks like some of the specs have changed since that thread. I'm intrigued by their grbl-derived firmware, the motion planning is supposed to be pretty good.

Reading up on BBP, it looks like interesting and capable hardware combined with ludicrous marketing. Print 4x faster because they figured out how to generate high frequency step signals? Yeah, that's really what's holding me up from unlocking my M2 to print at 350mm/s or higher.... I can't find much information on their firmware or motion control, either. And the price is less than half the RAMBo.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing updates on how it works for you :-)

lem

Post by lem » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:58 pm

I downloaded what I think is a snapshot of their source code for the firmware on 3/21/2015. Backers should have access to the firmware at some point in time. I can upload the file I have if anyone is interested.

Larry

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:39 pm

One of the fastbot team was on another forum i read over frequently. Just by his responses i can tell he has no clue whats going on. According to him the firmware is just a ported version of marlin. Everythingn else they claim is all just bs. Basically you will have nothing different from what you have now with the stock firmware. They have not developed anything special on the firmware end. Imo you were far better off with smoothie. Atleast the firmware is being developed and constantly being made better and updated.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:01 pm

lem wrote:I downloaded what I think is a snapshot of their source code for the firmware on 3/21/2015. Backers should have access to the firmware at some point in time. I can upload the file I have if anyone is interested.

Larry
Does their license allow you to do that?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

The Rambo I bought recently was 180. The smoothie was 172 with a 5v converter and the bbp is 152....so price wise it is a wash for me. The big thing I liked with bbp was octoprint integration . I can do away with the pi all together .Less electrical use is always good even if it is as small of an amount as the pi. We shall see . Either way I might end up with both. I am planning a printer build of my own in the future so they will get used one way or another .

insta

Post by insta » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:36 pm

PcS wrote:The Rambo I bought recently was 180. The smoothie was 172 with a 5v converter and the bbp is 152....so price wise it is a wash for me. The big thing I liked with bbp was octoprint integration . I can do away with the pi all together .Less electrical use is always good even if it is as small of an amount as the pi. We shall see . Either way I might end up with both. I am planning a printer build of my own in the future so they will get used one way or another .
Your Pi costs you $4 per year to run.

lem

Post by lem » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:25 am

Does their license allow you to do that?
@insta; I really don't know. Since they posted it on Kickstarter I assumed that anyone could get it. I am not a backer and don't have any connection with the project.

Their Kickstarter claim:
The license of BBP board is CC-BY-SA, the license of other extension board is GPL. Our softwares are GPL.
They claim open source. I'm not familiar with GPL, maybe I should take a look.

If I get some spare time, I can do a quick comparison with Marlin to see if they are similar.

Larry

lem

Post by lem » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:09 am

Took a quick look at the firmware.
Copyright (c) 2014 Truby Zong <truby.zong@gmail.com>
* Unicorn is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License

insta

Post by insta » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:27 am

Oh yeah, GPL is fine to share anywhere with next to no restrictions (that we'll realistically hit). It just sounded sketchy at first :)