Smoothieboard

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
lem

Smoothieboard

Post by lem » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 pm

rsilvers post under Fastbot BBP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsu_vAKvRO0

X5 controller is based on it also. [lem edit - referring to Marlin]
I looked at the video and the presenter specifically states that Marlin will not run on this controller board without major modification. I also looked at the source code for the Smoothieboard and it is indeed radically different from Marlin.

Having said that, the source code looks very well written. It is heavily object oriented and event driven code.

The board does look like a good candidate for an M2 upgrade and is a competitor to the FastBot BBP.

I'm impressed with the work done on the Smoothieboard and it appears at this stage of the game it is a better choice for the M2 - unless the BBP group can get their act together. So far, I'm not too impressed with the workgroup although the board looks nice. Maybe with time they will also have a nice offering.

Larry

Volcom7114

Re: Smoothieboard

Post by Volcom7114 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:56 pm

I have been looking into the Smoothieboard for a project I'm building now but I can't find anyone who has them in stock everyone is sold out of the X5 witch is the one I need.. If by chance you know of where that has one let me know. :D

I will agree with you that i really like the layout of the board and from the few things i have seen other say about it they love it also and say the firmware is very easy to configure..

Dennis

lem

Post by lem » Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 pm

I don't know where you could find one.

According to the documentation the configuration parameters are read from a text file. In order to change something you just edit the text file and the board will pick up the changes. You don't have to change the firmware to make a configuration change.

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:58 pm

According to the documentation the configuration parameters are read from a text file. In order to change something you just edit the text file and the board will pick up the changes. You don't have to change the firmware to make a configuration change.[/quote]

Yes that's how I understand it myself. I'm not sure if you have watched Tom's review of the Smoothie board but he does a good job of explaining how it works. Here is the link just in case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsu_vAKvRO0

If you happen to find some where that has the SmoothieBoard 5X PLEASE let me know.. I like the RAMBO board for the M2 I think it fit's the machine very well and they are a good board even tho I had a weird problem with my RAMBO board and had it replaced I most def think something was wrong with it from the start, as I got my M2 as a kit so there was no way for them to test it and since it was replaced I have much better prints... Things like this will happen lol. I haven't heard anything back on any findings they may have come up with from troubleshooting but i know my printer is a lot happier.

Dennis

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue May 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 am

The Smoothieboard looks like a nice piece of work and the list of names on the back includes people I recognize and trust from the RepRap discussion groups. The processor speed and size are right, and whoa, I can plug the thing right into my Ethernet switch. Price point is quite reasonable. Not sure I want to be the bleeding edge early adopter, but it sure is tempting.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 06, 2015 3:22 am

Tim, I think you definitely need to investigate this. You're an electronics/software guy, it'd be right up your alley. And then you can write it up for the rest of us :D

Just think, grbl derived motion planning. Improved surface quality at higher speeds. Fame and glory forever....

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed May 06, 2015 4:15 am

jsc wrote:Tim, I think you definitely need to investigate this. You're an electronics/software guy, it'd be right up your alley. And then you can write it up for the rest of us :D

Just think, grbl derived motion planning. Improved surface quality at higher speeds. Fame and glory forever....
I second the motion. :D

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey guys I found a Smoothieboard 5X and got the LCD screen and break out board for it also if you want to run the Smoothie without a USB you need the voltage regulator I got it all.. My 4-Axis NEMA23 350oz in 60VDC/20A PSU G320X Gecko Driver with encoder's will be here today! :D I also think i bought stock in linear round rails and square bearings with will be here in about a week an today I'm ordering some alum sheet stock and SS hardware so ill be able to get a good start on my build which is a multiple function machine.. It will have a 100w c02 laser and a few other goodies. Ill have to keep you all posted on the build.. one thing I will say is it will be a big machine with a 4' x 4' x 4' build area and yes the servo's are over kill but I love servo's for many reasons over steppers but they both have their place for sure...

Anyone know of a good place other than McMaster to buy Alum extrusion that doesn't charge an arm and a leg ,or your first born?

Here is the link to the servo kit I bought-- http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... cko-driver

Here is the link to where I got my Smoothieboard-- http://robotseed.com/index.php

Also if anyone is interested I will have a brand new Arduino Mega 2560 RAMPS 1.4 pre assembled complete kit with the extra large full graphics smart controller - 12864 with the wires and board...all brand new never used (hasn't got to my house yet will be here tomorrow). I got the RAMPS kit on Ultimaker's web site and the full graphics smart controller off MakerGeeks.. If anyone would be interested PM me if not the I guess ill just have something else to play with lol

Dennis

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed May 06, 2015 2:07 pm

jsc wrote:Tim, I think you definitely need to investigate this. You're an electronics/software guy, it'd be right up your alley. And then you can write it up for the rest of us :D

Easy for you and Jules to say. . . you're costing me $170.

I think the fame and glory go to the ones who designed the board and the path planning algorithms. But you're right; my reputation as a hardware/software hacker is at stake. . .