Smoothieboard

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Volcom7114

Re: Smoothieboard

Post by Volcom7114 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:49 am

jsc wrote:I don't own a Rigol, but they are well regarded. If you don't need four channels, there is an easy firmware hack to upgrade the 50 MHz version to 100 MHz.

Delta printers are interesting to watch, and I considered building/buying one when I was printer shopping, but after doing some research decided they were too finicky to set up. Besides the difficulty of calibrating the non-cartesian mechanics, almost all of them use a Bowden drive to reduce moving weight, which removes the possibility of printing flexible filaments. People have done direct drive delta conversions, but then you lose some of the speed advantage of the delta setup. (I'm not convinced there IS a speed advantage; people [e.g., Ed Nisley] print on the M2 at ludicrous speeds already, and you soon get into issues being able to melt plastic fast enough.) I think the main draw to a delta is that it looks cool.

In a similar note, I would suggest you design your giant printer for high-speed printing, with a large nozzle. No point in having a huge build volume if it takes a week to fill it.

couldnt agree more! I have many choices already here lol I have 4 E3d v6's with the Volcano pack I also have the Chimera with both the Volcano pack and the cyclops now my plans are since im using 350 oz in 4 axis servos and the Smoothieboard (i got today by the way and DAMN its sweet!) that with the longer heat zone in the Volcano i should be able to push speeds up there pretty good without the loss of torque like steppers and also since they all will have encoders i could stop the print and inlay something such as a piece of metal or whatever it may be... i think i could reach some pretty insane speeds with what i have its just how nice of a print can one have at these speeds will be something ill be sure to share lol of course im going to push the limits until its a mess then bring it back until its nice. then again this is for printing large pieces and the M2 has worked out so well thats what set me off on this as it will help same me a lot of time I hope lol

Dennis

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue May 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Volcom7114 wrote: (snip) Also one of the places Dale gave me can make the bed heater for me no problem and it will run off 120v. Not sure of price yet maybe tomorrow.. thanks much man!
You're welcome, Dennis -- I'm glad those links helped. It would be nice to know which vendor you choose (once you choose) and what their capabilities are as far as sizes, shapes, voltages, temperature ranges, etc. (I'm thinking of some uses other than printer bed heating.) And, of course, what you think of the product once you receive it --- overall quality, how easy to apply to your bed, quality and convenience of wiring / connection, that sort of stuff.

Dale

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Dale Reed wrote:
Volcom7114 wrote: (snip) Also one of the places Dale gave me can make the bed heater for me no problem and it will run off 120v. Not sure of price yet maybe tomorrow.. thanks much man!
You're welcome, Dennis -- I'm glad those links helped. It would be nice to know which vendor you choose (once you choose) and what their capabilities are as far as sizes, shapes, voltages, temperature ranges, etc. (I'm thinking of some uses other than printer bed heating.) And, of course, what you think of the product once you receive it --- overall quality, how easy to apply to your bed, quality and convenience of wiring / connection, that sort of stuff.

Dale

Dale I sure will let you know! I emailed both of them and only the U.S manufacturer has gotten back to me and they did say it will take a few days for them to work out what the cost will be as this is a rather large sized heater and and they want to try and keep it at 120v also what I found was nice is they can make anywhere from 1-4 (maybe more) heat zones on one pad. So far they have been great to work with. I found my bed that this will be glued to and its MIC6 aluminum flat sheet .250 thick.. I am having the heating bad made to 46" x 46" so I have an inch around the edges for mounting and leveling.. Can't wait things are string to come together. :)

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:36 pm

I have been playing with the Smoothieboard a bit and I donfind it much easier than Marlin but then again I was use to Marlin as well, this really just makes it so much easier to make any changes to the firmware.. I also bought some of this stuff called Smooth-On XTC-3D High Performance Epoxy coating.. It's made right here in PA so I got the 1lb. I'm not sure if anyone has used this stuff or not but it sure seems like like it will so a good job..

I about have my inclosure don't for the M2 and I ordered more Plexiglass for makings filament storage compartment above it that will hol 11 spools but I'm only going to use 10 and the 11th bay I'll put one of those rechargeable dehumidifier in..
Attachments
image.jpg
My mess right now :)
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 383 times

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Here's an earlier thread on XTC-3D: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1713

And a thread on a test I did: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1992

It's situationally useful. Self-leveling is pretty good, although you have to be a little careful about blobs and drips. Makes thin-wall translucent PETG more translucent. Sands much better than raw PLA. It's not quite a magic sauce to make things smooth, some post-processing is desirable.

I should get that bronze powder mentioned in the first thread and try it out. Or maybe you should! (I guess my "thing" lately has been urging other people to test out the things I'm interested in. Sorry, insta. :-) )

insta

Post by insta » Wed May 13, 2015 7:09 pm

jsc wrote:Here's an earlier thread on XTC-3D: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1713

It's situationally useful. Self-leveling is pretty good, although you have to be a little careful about blobs and drips. Makes thin-wall translucent PETG more translucent. Sands much better than raw PLA. It's not quite a magic sauce to make things smooth, some post-processing is desirable.

I should get that bronze powder mentioned in the first thread and try it out. Or maybe you should! (I guess my "thing" lately has been urging other people to test out the things I'm interested in. Sorry, insta. :-) )
No worries, fire fixes everything.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:42 pm

jsc wrote:Here's an earlier thread on XTC-3D: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1713

Hey nothing wrong with talking other into testing things for you lol i notice its a pretty fine powered bronze, I have a bunch of alum,brass and bronze shavings from the band saw that i could run through a few screens to only get the real fine stuff and use it.. I have some PETT and when I tried to print with it I couldn't get it to print right even messing with temps it seemed like it would dry before it had time to fuse to the next layer and I turned the bed fan off.. its Taulmans t-glase PETT Green..

Volcom7114

Post by Volcom7114 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:38 pm

For the smart LCD, I will have to do some more research.

(another edit) You can get the "Full Graphic Smart LCD Controller" from http://www.reprapdiscount.com/best-sales ($69.00, and marked "Available"). This board is listed under "Supported Panels" on http://smoothieware.org/panel/. However, if you go to http://smoothieware.org/smoothiepanel/, you'll find a prototype in progress for a very large and nice looking LCD panel (debut undisclosed, said they would have a Kickstarter campaign when it's ready). Could be overkill. I'm inclined to say that if the Smoothieboard has an ethernet jack and an on-board HTML server, I'm going to access it off the Web. . . but I suppose there's still plenty of reasons to have standalone operation capability.[/quote]

Tim, I found out that the Smothiepanel isn't going to come to light as they find it will be very hard to compete with the RedRap Full Graphic LCD Controller. So they have been focusing on the new up coming Smoothieboard. I'm not sure when its coming out but i have seen the board layout and all i can say is WOW I though this one was awesome BUT the next veirson will fix a lot of the "cons" with this one and have some "extras" that are just great! I do have another Smoothieboard on its way even tho is it the 5XC and i really wanted the 5X but i can always unsolder the stuff I wont be needing and also put my own connecters on it..

Dennis