Moving electronics out of enclosure

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
McSterls

Moving electronics out of enclosure

Post by McSterls » Wed May 20, 2015 1:21 am

just got my M2, and am running my first print as I type. Very excited. I built the popular IKEA enclosure over the weekend, and read that the electronics should be placed outside the enclosure to avoid overheating. There's three bolts on the side of the electronics box, and when I remove them the cover comes off and I see the Rambo inside, I want to move the whole box, right? Looks like one piece to me welded to the frame. Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't want to screw anything up so I replaced the cover for now, my unit came pre assembled. Can anyone offer me suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,
Mike

insta

Re: Moving electronics out of enclosure

Post by insta » Wed May 20, 2015 1:36 am

Honestly, don't worry about it. Keep the enclosure temperature at the electronics under 120F (use a small duct with a little fan if you need to) and never worry about it again.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed May 20, 2015 3:36 am

For what it's worth, though; yes, you can detach the electronics box and move it and all the wiring behind the printer. You won't get it very far behind the printer, though; most of the cables only have enough extra length to account for the maximum extents of the extruder assembly and the Z stage assembly. I was pondering the same idea a few days ago because I replaced the electronics with a Smoothieboard, and it's a bit bigger than the RAMBo and it was not clear to me that it would all fit back into place where the RAMBo used to be (turns out it does, barely). Putting it all behind the printer was an awkward but certainly viable solution.

benavery

Post by benavery » Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 am

Insta: Have successfully printed for extended periods of time with the electronics at 120F ? I tried to determine a safe number a while ago and couldn't find much info. I though someone was experiencing problems at lower temps than that, but I could be mistaken.

McSterls

Post by McSterls » Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice!