PEI Bed Surface

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: PEI Bed Surface

Post by Jules » Fri May 29, 2015 4:55 am

Jig's a good idea - might try that if it ever straightens out. (I might just try holding it on with clips first - I'd hate to apply it and then find out that there's just too much curve in the surface.)

dave2brecht

Post by dave2brecht » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Where did you buy your PEI?

I tried Ultem from Mcmaster, but it would eventually pull the adhesive and start bowing. I used the 12" square 3M adhesive squares.

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:58 pm

I got both the PEI and tape from Amazon. I used 2 inch wide 468mp tape. I think using wider tape is much harder to get a good bond.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:27 pm

I got mine from Amazon too, and that was the one that arrived warped. So caveat emptor, and all that jazz.

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:29 pm

If the sheet is significantly warped when you get it, it wont get better, Amazon has great return policy, just exchange it.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Can't. Already cut it to size. (It's okay, I'll eventually get around to trying it, or replacing it.) ;)

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:37 pm

I had some fun printing Sainsmart TPU this weekend. Against warnings that it sticks too well to PEI, I tried some test prints, it does stick very well, no heat on the bed. Then I tried a trick I read somewhere, use a little oil, I like safflower, probably any would work. And result is awesome. Perfect print stayed on the bed, came off with very little force. Cleaned the oil with some Lysol wipes and alcohol. Loving this stuff. Everything works on it. I know it will wear out, so I just received 2 more sheets from amazon. Much easier than glue, hairspray, blue tape, kapton, etc...not going back to that again.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 am

if its anything like the ninjaflex then its super sticky and bonds to about everything. i run ninjaflex on a cold plain glass bed.

hillkwaj

Post by hillkwaj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:56 pm

I've been running PEI for a while now - see the Ultem thread a few down.

I used the 0.03" 12"x12" sheet from Amazon along with a roll of the 2" 486MP transfer tape - total investment ~$26.

No issues at all with the installation. Just carefully laid down the tape with the edges as close as possible without overlapping. Burnished it down fairly well before removing the backing and then laid the PEI sheet, burnished it down and then trimmed with the dremel. The bond is very good so it's as flat as boro itself.

I've printed PLA, ABS, PETG, and the Microcenter flexible. All with no issues. In general everything works well with no additional treatment. It's not completely magic in that really challenging parts with very small surface areas can still require some supplemental treatment or a raft, but I'd say 95% will work great on just the PEI.

The PEI surface is quite durable. I routinely scrape it with a metal pallet knife to either knock a part off or just clean all the miscellaneous globs and strings that have accumulated on the bed. No sign of any damage or wear even from aggressive scraping. I periodically wipe with acetone or iso to remove any oils from my hands. Really haven't seen any down sides at all to the PEI.

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:02 pm

@hillkwaj what temperatures do you use for different materials.
I've used rafts for small parts too, and places where supports would be right on the bed. I don't think there is a way to get around that. I'm thoroughly impressed though how perfectly flat everything turns out, no warping at all.