PEI Bed Surface

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: PEI Bed Surface

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Perfect tool to use for this if you do try to bond the PEI sheet to the glass:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C0 ... 1_2&sr=8-2

You really need a plastic cutter to score the PEI and then snap it off. Finish it off with a light sanding to get rid of any snags and you're good to go. (Amazing how impossible it is to cut through that stuff!)

minusbacon

Post by minusbacon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Jules wrote:
minusbacon wrote:Looks like most of you are using .03 or .06 sheets and bonding them to the boro. Anyone attempt or successfully using a thicker sheet on top of the boro using the bed clips only?
The only problem with that is the same one you have already experienced with the zebra - you have to use the small clips to clamp it down, and even the thinnest 0.03 sheet bonded to the boro is thicker than the zebra. Any thicker and you won't be able to clamp it.

Matter of fact, you won't be able to clip it down without bending out the small clips with a couple pairs of pliers first. Mine barely fit.
If PEI can handle the high bed heat when attached to the boro, couldn't you just use it in place of the boro instead or does it warp too easily?

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Don't know. I've bonded all of mine. :)

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:59 pm

I have read most of this and my New M2 is coming tomorrow. I ordered the .06 sheet and 3M adhesive to get the bed done ASAP and it came today from Amazon.
Since I also own a 50 watt laser - engraving machine I am going to attempt to get the adhesive on the glass and then the PEI sheet. Cutting... I will make a pattern in AutoCAD and send to the laser machine to cut the plastic sheet in place, on the glass.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

minusbacon

Post by minusbacon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Got my PEI and adhesive. I always have a hard time applying screen protectors and stuff like that. Anyone have a link to corner pieces that could be used as a jig to apply it easily?

I did get an extra one that is larger than the boro plate. Might just put them on then trim the extra off afterwards.

insta

Post by insta » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Apparently the 3M adhesive responds well to the soapy water trick ... I didn't do it and just popped the bubbles, but it may be worth a shot.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

minusbacon

Post by minusbacon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Someone mentioned making/printing a jig to help apply it. Anyone design one that can be printed? Some L shaped pieces with a few layers on the bottom that fill in the L to make a triangle with the L shape area being taller as a guide (if that makes any sense. hahaha. Hard to describe what I'm picturing) would work nicely for a jig. I haven't learned any CAD stuff yet so I have no idea how.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Not worth the time, it's not hard to apply it.

Just put the tape on the back of the PEI sheet, pop any bubbles before you take the liner off of the back of the adhesive.

Put the PEI sheet sticky side up on a desk and drop the glass down onto it. You will not get it even, but you don't need to. You need a 6$ plastic cutter to trim the excess PEI away from the glass, and some fine grade sandpaper to smooth the edges.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C0 ... 1_2&sr=8-2

It's not going to look perfect (that adhesive tape sux) but it doesn't affect performance at all.

You cannot remove it once it's been applied without ruining the PEI, so don't try to be too precise about it. Just make sure the whole glass has PEI under it and set it down. There is no removing bubbles like on a screen protector.

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Been using the PEI for about a week now, the stuff is awesome.

cheers,
c

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:06 am

I just put the glass on top of the table saw and up against the rip fence and eased it on. Came out pretty decent. The hardest part was cutting it off, I tried the utility knife trick but this is tough stuff. Debated about using my band saw and chickened out because I thought I might break the glass. Tried my 50 watt laser machine that puts out over 60 watts and it took several passes at low speed and full power to get it cut.
All and all like Jules says the adhesive does not look that great but it holds and transfers heat, what else would you want? I had this stuff on both the TAZ machines and it worked great, better than the printers.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router