PEI Bed Surface

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Rara

Re: PEI Bed Surface

Post by Rara » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:31 am

Thinking about giving PEI a shot; is this adhesive that people are using removable and/or reusable, or is it basically a permanent bond?
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:07 am

Rara wrote:Thinking about giving PEI a shot; is this adhesive that people are using removable and/or reusable, or is it basically a permanent bond?
can be removed with wd 40 -- might ruin the PEI sheet, but your boro should be unharmed

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:51 am

I had to redo mine. It pulled off ok. The adhesive came off good with ether. I think I need a thicker sheet. Every time I stick it on it ends up with a high spot some where I can't seem to get the this sheet flat enough for me. The prints I did on it anyway showed promise. I think if I keep printing petg I might go back to glass.

insta

Post by insta » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:43 am

Anyone who's done this ... have you ever had the parts NOT pop off the bed either on their own or with the smallest application of force? I'm curious in what exactly takes this surface down over time.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:16 am

insta wrote:Anyone who's done this ... have you ever had the parts NOT pop off the bed either on their own or with the smallest application of force? I'm curious in what exactly takes this surface down over time.
I've had one part not want to come off, I have a metal spatula type thing I got at home depot a while back, and I was able to scrape it off, turns out my z axis was off and too smooshed. The material wears out and adhesion properties decrease. If your sheet is thick enough you can give it a light sanding and its good as new again. It may start to degrade from repeated heating and cooling, but no one has used it long enough to see that. Top surface looses grip after about 100 prints, a light sanding with 1000- 1500 grit paper brings it back. I have heard some folks have issues with the adhesive and have to reapply.

Rara

Post by Rara » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:21 am

Has anyone used BuildTak and PEI for comparison? I've been using BuildTak for a while now and been pretty happy. ~$12 a sheet but seems to last quite a while if you're careful, and it's a breeze to change out.
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

hillkwaj

Post by hillkwaj » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:09 am

For bed temps with the PEI I've been using 60 for PLA, 80 for PETG, and 100 for ABS. Thise are basically what I used prior to PEl so I cant say theyve been optimized.

I find most things wont come off easily by hand until the bed cools below 50C. Above that I can knock most things cleanly off with a pallet knife albeit with some risk of damage.

The only thing I ever had that was really difficult to remove was a PETG piece where the first layer was heavily smooshed due to a bad z-stop setting. Wouldn't even pop off in a -15F freezer. Finally pried it off with a screwdriver. Real testament to the durability of the PEI that it survived me attacking it with razor blades and various metal tools - no sign at all of that incident.

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:08 am

I find PETG doesn't need much higher than 55-60. (eSun) It comes off very easily, stays put while printing. ABS -- I'm at 95, about 60 for PLA as well.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm getting one of these ready today. If I'm reading the posts correctly most of you are not using any type of adhesive, even on ABS?

Also, did you sand it after initial installation or use as is?

Thanks!
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:50 am

jdacal wrote:I'm getting one of these ready today. If I'm reading the posts correctly most of you are not using any type of adhesive, even on ABS?

Also, did you sand it after initial installation or use as is?

Thanks!
Correct, no adhesive, no glue, no hairspray. In fact clean PEI bed with 99% alcohol between prints.

For TPE filaments - no heat, and a little cooking oil, or it sticks too well. Make sure to cleaning the oil off when you switch back to traditional filaments.

I've use, PLA, ABS, PETG, WoodFill, BronzeFill, TPU, NinjaFlex. No issues