PEI Bed Surface

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
mlr53

Re: PEI Bed Surface

Post by mlr53 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Has anyone else tried the PEI film from CS Hyde co?

3 mil. Ultem®/PEI with 3M™ Acrylic adhesive-

Ultem®/PEI (polyetherimide) has struck the 3D printing world as a high performance material for 3D printing beds. Ultem®/PEI film enables 3D printing enthusiasts to produce both ABS and PLA prints. This film offers extreme heat resistance, coupled with high mechanical strength, stiffness, UV stability, and broad chemical resistance. This combination of properties allows this film to be utilized in a wide variety of demanding new design concepts including aerospace, automotive, and even medical applications. PEI is a functional product for 3D printing due to its extremely smooth finish, high temperature resistance, and ability to provide print placement security while releasing prints smoothly. Ultem/PEI is a “no surface prep” material which allows for no major surface modifications like sanding materials or applying special adhesives before each print. We do recommend a simple isopropyl alcohol cleaning of the film before each print to remove any existing residue. (Similar to PEEK, Ultem® can be considered a more cost effective solution if continuous temperatures are below 338°F). Ultem®/PEI has a UL94 flame resistance rating of VTM-0, is FDA compliant, EU Food Contact Compliant, and ISO10993 compliant in natural color.

*CS Hyde Company has capabilities to cut Ultem®/PEI film to any specification, including specific 3D print bed requirements.

*CS Hyde Company can apply a variety of 3M™ adhesives customized to specific film size.

*NOTE: Adhesive can be applied to either (Matte) side or (Gloss) side of Ultem® Film.
(Standard method: Adhesive is applied to the Matte side of the film, unless customer advises otherwise).

*For example: 3 mil. is the same as .003

It is reasonably priced, easy to trim to size once applied, tough, and works without bed prep additives. I had to heat my bed to apply it, to prevent bubbles, and squeegeed it on. It worked great for ABS, PLA sticks really strong to it, and it's really tough and durable.

zemlin

Re: PEI Bed Surface

Post by zemlin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:05 pm

mlr53 wrote:Has anyone else tried the PEI film from CS Hyde co?
3 mil. Ultem®/PEI with 3M™ Acrylic adhesive-
I'll be interested to hear how it holds up.
I have .06" PEI on aluminum applied with the 3M adhesive sheet, and the adhesive is thick enough that the PEI is not as flat as I'd like. Have thought about epoxying it to the aluminum, but I'd like something a little more non-committal than that.