Loud Fans

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Kulturfolger

Re: Loud Fans

Post by Kulturfolger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Better check the dimensions of the PSU and use the digital tapeline in netfapp to double-check the clearance. It might be a littlebit of.

Right now I am printing a featured thing from thingiverse and everything looks good so far. The PSU is cold with the new fan but the existing fan shroud makes this fan noisy.
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:37 am

[quote="jimc"]boy those end caps are super nice. great idea..

ROFL

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:51 am

jimc wrote:boy those end caps are super nice. great idea.. :mrgreen:
ah,i thought i recognised that paint job :)
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:50 pm

I just made this swap yesterday and the difference in the noise levels is astounding. It used to sound like I had a dustbuster running on my desk and now it's nearly silent. I only replaced the 40mm fans with Noctua's, the 50mm fan is stock since I couldn't find a 24v 50mm quiet fan to swap it with. 90% of the printer noise is those two 40mm fans. The PSU fan and 50mm fan are nowhere near as loud, and when the printer is printing they're actually slightly quieter than the steppers anyway so I don't think they're even worth replacing. What a fantastic improvement, thanks for posting it.

BTW, MakerGear if you're listening. My 40mm extruder fan was already failing, grinding noises after a month. I wasn't going to ask you to spend $5 to ship me a $1 fan, but you might want to consider going to a better fan or maybe offering a DeLuxe version of the M2.

Proposed DeLuxe version +$200
-Noctua 40mm fans for extruder and controller
-v4 Hotend
-Full Graphic LCD display preconfigured

Would have been a no-brainer for me and probably others. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I love my M2 even more now.

cheers,
c

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 am

Vandal968 wrote:I just made this swap yesterday and the difference in the noise levels is astounding. It used to sound like I had a dustbuster running on my desk and now it's nearly silent. I only replaced the 40mm fans with Noctua's, the 50mm fan is stock since I couldn't find a 24v 50mm quiet fan to swap it with. 90% of the printer noise is those two 40mm fans. The PSU fan and 50mm fan are nowhere near as loud, and when the printer is printing they're actually slightly quieter than the steppers anyway so I don't think they're even worth replacing. What a fantastic improvement, thanks for posting it.

BTW, MakerGear if you're listening. My 40mm extruder fan was already failing, grinding noises after a month. I wasn't going to ask you to spend $5 to ship me a $1 fan, but you might want to consider going to a better fan or maybe offering a DeLuxe version of the M2.

Proposed DeLuxe version +$200
-Noctua 40mm fans for extruder and controller
-v4 Hotend
-Full Graphic LCD display preconfigured

Would have been a no-brainer for me and probably others. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I love my M2 even more now.

cheers,
c
Go install the NEMA17 dampers I listed in another thread. If you've swapped fans, then do that mod too. It's astounding.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:40 pm

WOW! The difference is amazing. I just ordered a set. Here's a link to the damper thread for anyone following along at home...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2552&p=14642&hilit ... per#p14642

Thanks Insta,
c