Loud Fans

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
RH3D

Loud Fans

Post by RH3D » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:25 am

Hey Folks

I am new to the MakerGear M2 world as I received my printer late last week. Unfortunately it is considerably louder than I expected, it sits on my desk in the living room. The Main Fan over the electronics seems to be the main problem, it will slow down from time to time and things get much quieter. I searched through previous posts but didn't see anything specific to the main electronics fan mod. Has anyone done this yet, any experiences or suggestions you can share to make the printer quieter?

Thanks
/Ryan

benavery

Re: Loud Fans

Post by benavery » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 am

I replaced both the 40mm fans with Noctua ones, and they are much quieter. However, I found that the power supply fan turned out to be the the noisiest, and isn't easily swapable (without dismantling the power supply I assume)
I ended up building one of the IKEA cabinets to put it all in, and with the door closed keeps it very quiet. It also looks much cleaner/neater when you aren't using it (though the cabinet is kind of huge, so consumes more space)

Toyotany

Post by Toyotany » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:04 pm

could you supply the part number for the fan?
Thanks
Lou

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 pm

These are the Noctua fans I was using for a while:

http://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-A-Series- ... B009NQLT0M

While they are dead silent, they also do not push as much air as louder fans. I swapped mine back out when I was having trouble with some clogs. It ended up probably not being the extruder cooling fan that was at fault, but I haven't bothered to switch them back in.

Just a reminder, you need to swap out both electronics fans and upper extruder fan at the same time with identical 12V 40mm fans, as they split 24V between them.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:09 pm

jsc wrote:These are the Noctua fans I was using for a while:

http://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-A-Series- ... B009NQLT0M

Just a reminder, you need to swap out both electronics fans and upper extruder fan at the same time with identical 12V 40mm fans, as they split 24V between them.
Jin, when you changed out the extruder fan, did you make any modifications to the filament drive to hold the larger fan? (does the bigger one cool the right spot?) (And that means 3 Noctua fans if you want to change them all out, correct? Is the larger 40mm cooling fan a 12v too?)

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:12 am

No. The fans hang onto the outside of the filament drive through screws. Those Noctuas are not much different from the stock fans in width. The "larger fan" is a 50mm 24V fan.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:15 am

Jules wrote:(And that means 3 Noctua fans if you want to change them all out, correct? Is the larger 40mm cooling fan a 12v too?)
The large one is 24V, because it's on its own circuit. Also, you wouldn't be able to adjust the fan speed with PWM if you had two in series. I'm not sure why MakerGear didn't use all 24V fans; they were thinking about it at one point. Anyway, two 24V fans in parallel is a viable substitute for the two 12V fans in series, as is one 24V fan on the extruder and none on the electronics box (the box doesn't really get very hot just sitting on a desk; in an enclosure may be a different story).

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 am

Well, that's confusing enough that I think I'll just stick with the ones that I've got on there now - I'm not that annoyed by the fan sounds.

(I might switch them out when one of them wears out, one of these days. You can bet, when i do, i'll be talkin' to you fellas!) ;)

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Jules,

Or, you could be like me and modify the fan blade count using the 2.5 mm hex driver. (Did that several times before I ever "wore out" a fan! :-( ) When I did my 12/19V to 24V upgrade, I bought a bunch of 40mm 24V fans and left the wiring with the fans in parallel. So ALL my fans are 24V. (Having full 24 volts across the extruder fan means I can put 24V of LEDs (two 12V strips in series) in parallel with the fan.

Just to confuse you even more!!!
Dale

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:50 am

Dale Reed wrote:Jules,

Or, you could be like me and modify the fan blade count using the 2.5 mm hex driver. (Did that several times before I ever "wore out" a fan! :-( ) When I did my 12/19V to 24V upgrade, I bought a bunch of 40mm 24V fans and left the wiring with the fans in parallel. So ALL my fans are 24V. (Having full 24 volts across the extruder fan means I can put 24V of LEDs (two 12V strips in series) in parallel with the fan.

Just to confuse you even more!!!
Dale
Chuckle! I keep sticking the end of the filament in them when I switch out the rolls - one of these days something is gonna break right off in there. (And wiring things is something i leave to the experts - when the time comes, i'll hit you guys up for pictures - gotta keep it reeeeely simple for us village idiots.) :D