M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
User avatar
PcS
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:19 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by PcS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:47 pm

You should not get head collisions. I can run G 28 again after G29 and nothing happens other than a correct homing. Z probe or not. If the plate is high in the center. Either way you will end up with that little bow.

Bratag
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:33 am

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Bratag » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 pm

PcS wrote:You should not get head collisions. I can run G 28 again after G29 and nothing happens other than a correct homing. Z probe or not. If the plate is high in the center. Either way you will end up with that little bow.
So the sequence of events for my collision was

Run G28 - correctly homes to the center of the bed.
Run G29 - runs through the auto level - finishes and the bed stays high
Run G28 - bed homes to X/Y , then as per the config file it did a -4 on the Z before homing - now because the bed was already at the Z-stop - when it tried to move to the center to home it rammed the print head into the bed.

As long as the print bed drops before you run the second G28 all is well.

User avatar
PcS
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:19 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by PcS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:09 pm

I think I deleted the -4.....can't remember now. But I do know I ran a g28 again after a g29 with no issue. I will confirm those things again tonight and let you know.

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm
Location: Poolesville, Maryland
Contact:

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Not that anybody else is going to try implementing the auto-leveling with random hardware purchased through Amazon, but for the record, the 2mm proximity sensor does NOT work with the Zebra plate. However, it does work on a strip of copper tape, so I think the problem is the thickness of the Zebra plate above the copper layer, not the Zebra plate itself.

I ordered the 2mm proximity sensor because it was the only one I could find that could be ordered through Amazon Prime; the 4mm sensor is on order but ships from China with at least a week's lead time. But the sensor dimensions are all the same, so I can use this one for testing how it can mount with the dual extruder assembly getting in the way.

User avatar
Jules
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Tim wrote:Not that anybody else is going to try implementing the auto-leveling with random hardware purchased through Amazon, but for the record, the 2mm proximity sensor does NOT work with the Zebra plate......
Well, crud! Thanks Tim, it does help to know. :cry:

N5QM
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by N5QM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Tim wrote:Not that anybody else is going to try implementing the auto-leveling with random hardware purchased through Amazon, but for the record, the 2mm proximity sensor does NOT work with the Zebra plate. However, it does work on a strip of copper tape, so I think the problem is the thickness of the Zebra plate above the copper layer, not the Zebra plate itself.

I ordered the 2mm proximity sensor because it was the only one I could find that could be ordered through Amazon Prime; the 4mm sensor is on order but ships from China with at least a week's lead time. But the sensor dimensions are all the same, so I can use this one for testing how it can mount with the dual extruder assembly getting in the way.
Tim,

I ordered this one yesterday and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, via prime shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FZ9UNA
Robert
MakerGear M2 (24v) - v3b Hotend - PEI Build Surface - Astrosyn Dampers on X and Y Axis

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm
Location: Poolesville, Maryland
Contact:

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:39 pm

N5QM wrote:I ordered this one yesterday and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, via prime shipping...
Hmm, I missed that one somehow.

Jules---I have not determined that the 4mm sensor will not work with the Zebra plate; on the contrary, the fact that the sensor I got worked on a piece of copper tape suggests that it will. It's just that the non-metallic part of it is too thick for the 2mm sensor. Measuring on the edge of the plate, the Zebra has about 1mm between the top and the copper layer, but it's too close to call it definitive.

Bratag
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:33 am

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Bratag » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Tim wrote:
N5QM wrote:I ordered this one yesterday and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, via prime shipping...
Hmm, I missed that one somehow.

Jules---I have not determined that the 4mm sensor will not work with the Zebra plate; on the contrary, the fact that the sensor I got worked on a piece of copper tape suggests that it will. It's just that the non-metallic part of it is too thick for the 2mm sensor. Measuring on the edge of the plate, the Zebra has about 1mm between the top and the copper layer, but it's too close to call it definitive.
While its not an apples to apples comparison. The sensor that shipped with the beta kit was perfectly capable of triggering with a good 4mm between it and the plate. Now that might be because the MIC6 plate is a beefy chunk of metal, but it does give hope that you could have something between the metal and the sensor and still be good.

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm
Location: Poolesville, Maryland
Contact:

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Bratag wrote:Now that might be because the MIC6 plate is a beefy chunk of metal, but it does give hope that you could have something between the metal and the sensor and still be good.
Since it's really easy to test the sensor by connecting it to a 9V battery and watching the indicator LED on top, I did a quick test trying to detect a metal ruler through a bunch of pages in my notebook. That test worked as long as the thickness of the pages was less than about 1.5mm. It makes sense that anything you stick between the sensor and the target will have a different dielectric than air, and that's going to change the inductance, and consequently the detection distance.

I think my 2mm sensor is just short of working with the Zebra plate. However, I want a couple of mm of margin, anyway.

User avatar
Jules
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:01 pm

Tim wrote:...Jules---I have not determined that the 4mm sensor will not work with the Zebra plate; on the contrary, the fact that the sensor I got worked on a piece of copper tape suggests that it will. It's just that the non-metallic part of it is too thick for the 2mm sensor. Measuring on the edge of the plate, the Zebra has about 1mm between the top and the copper layer, but it's too close to call it definitive.
Whew! Is the new M2 one a 4mm sensor? (Missed that bit. All happy again!) :D

Post Reply