M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
innkeeper

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by innkeeper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

KiddingMe wrote:Is it possible for this to kit to also set the z gap automatically?
i am able to set the gap automatically using smoothie and using a different solution, optical sensing...i am assuming the same can be done on rambo ... though i don't have a working Rambo :(.

problem with the inductive sensor and trying to set the gap is you cant set gap for different materials as the distance is always different - eg glass vs mic-6 vs zebra plate.
even adding abs juice to your glass will change the gap... but with optical that is not a problem as its going off the surface distance not the inductive reaction of the metal which can very my metal types and the distances from the metal to the build surface..

therefor setting gap is kinda tough with the inductive sensor unless you stick with a solution that gives you a constant surface distance.

almost done with my playing with the optical concept... i will post it all once i am confident it works as i expected.
working on offsets and the right sensor distance for calibration..least as a starting concept for this.
its working great right now, but its at Z 0 offset which is not practical, need to get the homing and sensor set for Z offset as well as the tramming.
yes... the sensor does both the Z endstop and tramming. ... and that part of what allows it to control the gap.

if i get a chance i will do a quick video of it in action...as it sits now.

I will give all the parts and modification required to make it work once i am done..hopefully this week.
i was able to get someone else's board to work with just a hardware change .. on their board :)
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:07 am

here is a video of the optical sensor in action on a smoothieboard to give you an idea of what i am talking about.

At the start of the print it first does a 3 point check to tram the bed, then sets z home, then prints. it uses 0,0 corner as its reference point and adjust the tram relative to that.
the gap will be constant no matter the bed thickness because of this. changing out beds between glass, mic-6 and zebra requires no changes.
gap can be altered by changing the z offset if desired..

sorry in advance for the poor video... it was a quick one off my iphone.

View My Video
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:28 am

innkeeper wrote:here is a video of the optical sensor in action on a smoothieboard to give you an idea of what i am talking about.

At the start of the print it first does a 3 point check to tram the bed, then sets z home, then prints. it uses 0,0 corner as its reference point and adjust the tram relative to that.
the gap will be constant no matter the bed thickness because of this. changing out beds between glass, mic-6 and zebra requires no changes.
gap can be altered by changing the z offset if desired..

sorry in advance for the poor video... it was a quick one off my iphone.

View My Video
Pretty cool. Couple of things

1) Holy hell whats your acceleration set to - thought the print head was going to fly off and hit the wall on that first track. :)
2) Whats the price on the sensor. Part of what makes inductive sensors so attractive is the price. For 30 bucks I can have 3 spares.

I like the idea of the optical sensor purely because it eliminates yet another variable with the z gap. Not that I ever change my print bed material. Am yet to find something I can't get to stick to MIC6 + hair spray.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:41 am

they cost about 40 bucks a peace...so not even in the ballpark price range of the inductive sensors.

the guy who makes them is in the uk, and it looks like he is going to setup for some production runs and will likely be setting up some distribution int he USA shortly. that should bring the price down.

i see a few things about them i don't like, but none the less, they work.
my approach was slightly different then his so of course i am not going to be 100 percent happy 8-) ... i really can't complain, these are ready built.

if you really wanna get on the bleeding edge of this, contact dc42 off the reprap forums, i think there is 7 left in his run of them.

i'm comfortable enough to say, they can be made to work and that they do what they are supposed to do....but with some caveats

the output circuit does not go to true zero, so may or may not need modification for the Rambo. there are two mods that will work, one is specific to the smoothie, the other modifies the board to be true logic levels by bypassing a resister used to make up the analog levels for output. if anyone gets one i'll happily explain the mod. it does require soldering on smt sized circuits. the circuit was actually designed to be input into an analog..AD port, so it could sense multiple states. Which is fine if that's the input your using, but had to modify the board to give logic level output (true zero) to work with the smoothie board.

the second thing i question is that it does go into a state that quickly flips from on to off, ... i believe i can fixed this with a code change on the avr on the board using some logic i have for the one i was working on.... just haven't had time to change the code and update it. this behavior doesn't seem to cause any i'll effects as the first on state triggers the smoothie board just fine..it's just something i dislike about the implementation. Talking with him it sounds like it is an acceptable behavior, its just a difference in approach.

i cant say if the rambo will react the same as the smoothie, but i am positive at this point it can be made to work regardless.

if someone gets one, let me know i will post the .stl files for the mount.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Ah, so it looks like, basically, a time of flight sensor built from discrete components. I didn't see - does he have any information on accuracy/precision? Also, any experimentation/testing on different bed surfaces - ie, opaque vs translucent vs transparent, reflective vs matte, etc.?

The firmware for the ATTINY in that device doesn't look that complex (though does look quite well written); it should actually be fairly simple to have it write the SIG pin HIGH when triggered at the appropriate level, which is easy enough to tell both Marlin/RAMBo and Smoothie to use as the endstop signal state. That might also be a cleaner/faster signal than the ground it's using now, so more reliable/easier to sense/faster detection time.

Edit: I lie, it's a bit more than just ToF (if it even has any ToF component) - it looks like it depends on the two different IR LEDs to reflect onto the IR sensor in different proportions based on distance to the bed; when equal, it triggers the "endstop" signal.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Josh wrote:Ah, so it looks like, basically, a time of flight sensor built from discrete components. I didn't see - does he have any information on accuracy/precision? Also, any experimentation/testing on different bed surfaces - ie, opaque vs translucent vs transparent, reflective vs matte, etc.?

The firmware for the ATTINY in that device doesn't look that complex (though does look quite well written); it should actually be fairly simple to have it write the SIG pin HIGH when triggered at the appropriate level, which is easy enough to tell both Marlin/RAMBo and Smoothie to use as the endstop signal state. That might also be a cleaner/faster signal than the ground it's using now, so more reliable/easier to sense/faster detection time.

Edit: I lie, it's a bit more than just ToF (if it even has any ToF component) - it looks like it depends on the two different IR LEDs to reflect onto the IR sensor in different proportions based on distance to the bed; when equal, it triggers the "endstop" signal.
Hi Josh,

i'll try and answer this as best i can

its actually not a time of flight implementation at all as i had stated before ..... think of it as more of a coincidence angle sensor using two narrow ir beams, which is why it can be accurate at short distances.

i think i may have described the approach on an earlier message.

for output what he did was use 2 pins of the attiny into two different resistors to make a multi level analog output. all that needs to be done is jumper around one resistor to make it true logic level.

so no code change for that. - another - less elegant solution is to add a pull down resistor on the output. but that is a bandaid. but still works, but is a bit dependent on what the pullup resister is on your controller and the logic voltage thereshold.

if you look at the code what you will see is that he looks for a pull up resistor at the input, if he sees that he attempts to give a 1/0 output.
the problem in the design is, it still goes though that resistor to do that... so it may work on some boards with high pull up resistance, but not on others with low pull up resistance. thats why its very dependent on the threshold voltage.

if the pull up resistance is high enough on the board then, no hardware mod is needed.

as far as accuracy...no he didn't post anything.

for the work i was doing...What i have prototyped is pure logic level out, and dosn't have that state were it may be flipping states, code approach is different also, but end result is the same.

as far as surfaces go... almost all surfaces measure the same.
the most extreme measurement delta i can find is going from matt black to matt white. mat black absorbing most of the ir and matt white giving he most off angle reflection. if you recall my previous explanation of the use of narrow beam with emitters... that would make sense.

other problems would be dual reflective surfaces, EG mirror, glass on mic-6, glass on a white surface etc.... where there an underlying reflective surface and a top reflective surface so it would get two coincidence angles.

the ideal situation for a translucent surface is for the background material to be low refectivity.
translucent/transparent and opaque surfaces measure the same, assuming there is no secondary reflective surface under the translucent or transparent surface.

So there are caveats to it, but as long as you understand them, your fine. i've not gotten around to do a reflectvity test with my mic-6 plate with kapton on it.
i suspect that could be a challenge for it. since my mic-6 has not yet been glass beaded, so it very reflective.

hope that helps understanding it.

askernas

Post by askernas » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:40 pm

So.. I'm ready to take the plunge, I think.

One question, after watching the youtube video.. Is the voltage coming out of the Z-min 12V even though I have upped my PSU to a 24V PSU?

Also, if anyone have a fresh branch of code, with VIKI or even VIKI2 support to point me to, that would also help a great deal ;)

Got everything in place, parts printed (and mounted).

Have anyone verified the 4mm induction sensor works with only the bare M2 heat bed metal plate?
I am currently printing on this with a BuildTak surface on it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance ;)

//Micke

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm pretty ready for this too..I hope everyone is just busy printing? :)
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

goopyplastic

Post by goopyplastic » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:42 pm

is the LJ12A3-4-Z/BX what is included in the mg beta kit? Anyone have a list of beta kit contents for those who are rolling their own?

Thanks!

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:26 pm

goopyplastic wrote:is the LJ12A3-4-Z/BX what is included in the mg beta kit? Anyone have a list of beta kit contents for those who are rolling their own?

Thanks!
Yes, that's the correct part - it's become something of a standard for 3D printing, as far as I've seen.