M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
goopyplastic

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by goopyplastic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Tim wrote:
goopyplastic wrote:I noticed some weird behavior on my machine. It will auto probe, then while printing the nozzle will go off randomly to different spots on the bed far away from the print somewhat slowly, then it drifts back to where it started and keep on printing. It will keep do this randomly it's pretty bizarre. I think it might be combination of bad sensor and running at 5v, going to order a replacement and try the voltage divider. Anyone else ever see anything like this?
It sounds more like deliberate behavior. The Z-probe, like any endstop switch, is only active at certain times, which doesn't include during printing. The endstops aren't even checked during printing; if they were to report false positives, nothing would happen. For probing, the Z-probe does its thing, saves the results, and then the rest is just doing calculations based on the Z-probe results and does not involve the Z-probe itself any more. What you describe sounds more like the slicer has inserted some sort of action for a nozzle wipe or something. If it's in the g-code, then the travel points should show up in a g-code previewer.
Ya it's entirely random where it goes though, and I've had it happen, then reset the printer and restart the gcode and have it print without it doing this.
I was thinking something like a flaky sensor might give it really weird probe results and the the computed plane might have a weird spike or something. I realize it's unlikely but probably worth trying. I'll post up the gcode see if someone notices anything, but the movements are not in the preview on s3d.

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:27 pm

This happened to me while printing from my old lcd which was a Viki at the time and it was a bad lcd . Took it off machine and everything was fine.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:26 am

Goopy,

does this happen both when printing from the sd card and from usb... also, if printing from sd, was the usb cable disconnected.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

askernas

Post by askernas » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:52 pm

So, finally got my MIC-6 plate from Jimc, thank you kindly for that!

I soldered in the resistors on my cable leading up to the induction sensor, but I'm still wondering where to take the voltage driving the probe from.

I have weighted my resistors for it to work well with 24V, since I run my M2 with a 24V supply.
Any suggestions to where I can take 24V from the RAMBo?

Thanks,
Micke

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:49 pm

I took mine from the 2nd extruder outputs. There are other spots available but for my needs that was quick and easy.

askernas

Post by askernas » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:50 pm

PcS wrote:I took mine from the 2nd extruder outputs. There are other spots available but for my needs that was quick and easy.
Thank you.

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Your welcome. :D

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:09 am

Hi all, sorry to revive what seems a dormant thread, but I thought it would be better to keep all of the information in one place.

I have sourced a couple of probes locally (LJ12A3-4-Z/BX) and have followed the earlier suggestions of connecting it straight to the Zmin header (~5V). The probes are rated 6-36V, so I was hoping I would also be able to get away with 5V from the Zmin as others have managed. However, I can get the sensor to physically switch (the LED lights up, albeit dimmly), but the Zmin end-stop is not triggering when I check with M119. It stays open irregardless of what the sensor LED is telling me.

I have not yet checked the voltage, but I'm pretty sure it's too low to trigger the switch. I'll likely need to pull voltage from somewhere else and use a combination of resistors, but I have a couple of questions:
  1. Where is the best place to tap the voltage from?
  • Do I then only have one cable going to the Zmin header - the switch (black) cable from the sensor?
  • Is there an ideal voltage I need the switch to signal to be at?
I have a relatively new 24V V4 system.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:33 am

The LJ12A3-4-Z/BX is the NPN version (I have the BY, which is PNP), so when it switches on, it should be more or less shorting the blue and black wires together. If you have 5V to the brown wire, ground to the blue wire, and the black wire plugged into the Z-min signal input, then the Z-min signal wire should get pulled down to ground when the sensor's light is on. It reacts more slowly when the brown wire is at 5V, but it should have no trouble switching Z-min.

I would suggest trying to make sure it works at 5V before connecting it up to anything higher. Higher voltages mean a risk of damaging something on the controller board if you hook something up wrong. The endstop inputs are 5V tolerant, and should survive 6-7V, but probably not 12V, and definitely not 24V.

If you get concerned about the response time at 5V, you can put the brown wire at 24V, and connected as mentioned above except for the critical addition of a 2.5 kohm resistor from Z-min to ground. This makes a resistive divider to cut the voltage down from 24V to 5V (part of this resistive divider is a 10 kohm resistor that's inside the inductive probe). I run mine at 24V, but then I also protect my Z-min input by putting another NPN transistor between the sensor and the connector. I actually smoked my Z-probe a few weeks ago (fortunately I had a spare). I don't even know what happened, but it really had smoke coming out of the top of it. Shorted 24V to ground somewhere inside there. The point being that protecting that connector from ever seeing 24V is a good idea. I shorted something and destroyed a $3 inductor, not a $150 controller board.

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:54 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim. It makes sense that you'd want to protect the board and not the sensor.

Unfortunately work is preventing me from playing too much, but I just quickly removed the black wire and stuck my meter on it and it's reading 4.98 volts when not triggered. When I trigger the probe by moving some metal close to it, LED lights up faintly but the voltage only drops ~0.04V to 4.94V. Bad sensor? I did order 4 in anticipation, so hopefully 1 of the remaining 3 is good!

Once I've finally got a sensor working, do I need to reverse the line of code in marlin from true to false as I'm using an NPN? I can't remember the exact line right now, but I'll take a peek later.