M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Bratag wrote: I am pretty handy with a screwdriver and a rock. Does that count?
:lol: Wow! You can do rock? (I'm still on clamshell. :) )

Rara

Post by Rara » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:29 am

Does the surface need to be bare metal? I am using a 1/4" aluminum plate, but I use BuildTak..
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

insta

Post by insta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:20 am

Rara wrote:Does the surface need to be bare metal? I am using a 1/4" aluminum plate, but I use BuildTak..
If it's the inductive sensor I'm thinking of, it will work with thin bed coverings like BuildTak or polyamide tape.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Rara

Post by Rara » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:49 am

It's not suuuuuper thin...about .015-16"..
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:23 am

rpollack wrote:Correction: this will not work with the dual v4. We are trying to determine how to mount the probe if you want to temporarily remove a v4 hot-end from the dual to test auto-leveling with a single hot-end.
I'm hesitating because I have a dual. . . although it's true that usually my right extruder is not being used for anything. If the auto-leveling probe is installed, how easy it is to remove? Otherwise, what's the prognosis for figuring out how to mount one of these things on the dual extruder?

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:05 am

Tim wrote:
rpollack wrote:Correction: this will not work with the dual v4. We are trying to determine how to mount the probe if you want to temporarily remove a v4 hot-end from the dual to test auto-leveling with a single hot-end.
I'm hesitating because I have a dual. . . although it's true that usually my right extruder is not being used for anything. If the auto-leveling probe is installed, how easy it is to remove? Otherwise, what's the prognosis for figuring out how to mount one of these things on the dual extruder?
My fear is I wont be able to mount it with my E3D setup. But for 25 bucks I figured I can MacGyver something

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 pm

It should work with buildtak but I don't think we've tested that configuration.

sshwarts

Post by sshwarts » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:22 pm

Is there any reason you couldn't just remove the glass and print (with say a piece of kapton) on the M2 anodized metal plate (edit: heater spreader) that the heater is mounted to? edit: Or is that just not very flat?

Scott

Rara

Post by Rara » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I did that with BuildTak after I bumped my boro off my workbench. It worked just fine for small stuff..as you can guess it heats up and cools quickly, though it wasn't perfectly flat so it was hit and miss once you ventured towards the front/rear of the platform (so a good test for auto-leveling...?). That said, the new HBP that came with my 24v upgrade kit is FAR more flat than the 12v ones I used in that "unanticipated opportunity to experiment." Maybe warm it up and check with a straight edge, and experiment from there?
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Ok so using some sort of warp technology Makergear got the kit to me today- Thats the good news.

Ok so now onto the not so good news.

1) The positioning of the sensor is going to directly conflict with the side mounted fan for the E3D mount that most people are using (assuming most people are using Jims version from thingiverse). A potential work around may be to remove the fan when the sensor is in place. Another option might be to create a mount that clips into the side mounting mechanism that Jim has developed. I would leave that to him to decide on as I don't have the original model. The current setup is basically an L bracket that screws to a new flat surface on the motor mount.

2) When you said the instructions were minimal, I was prepared for a basic diagram. What I wasn't prepared for was a complete lack of any wiring diagram etc. So yeah I can mount the sensor but what do you want me to hook it up to. I am assuming given the length of the wiring it needs to go to the rambo itself, but where - I am looking at a diagram of the M2 rambo from your website. Just direct me where to plug.

3) How far down do I mount the probe in the bracket.

I consider myself fairly handy but you gotta give me something slightly more than a single diagram showing the parts. That's not minimal instructions its positively anorexic :)