M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jprochnow

Re: M2 Auto-Leveling Kit (Beta)

Post by jprochnow » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:12 pm

It's this leveling change been included on the newest assembled machines?

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:07 am

No.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:40 am

When I had my CNC router I used a digitizing probe to make STL files of object that I placed on the bed. Worked good in theory but so, so time consuming it soon went to eBay. It cost $250 USD and it was a cheap one. All it did was open a very sensitive rocker switch every time it touched something on the bed and the software made a map of the switch points.

YES, I realize $250 is a lot more than $8 for a inductive switch but the principle is the same, lower the probe it hits the bed and opens the switch. The probe had a very narrow and long tip, and it could fit in tight places.
A person with a little DIY skill and a 3D printer could design and make one. Not for $250, I think just a good grade small micro switch could work for a bed height probe. I am thinking $20 or so max to build one.

No sense in re-inventing the wheel here so if its been done before and didn't work lets hear it now and I won't waste my time on it.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 am

The auto leveling works like a charm. I highly recommend it ! I am not running it at the moment since switching to the new spider leveling system it made leveling dead simple and spot on I don't need it anymore.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:52 am

PcS wrote:The auto leveling works like a charm. I highly recommend it ! I am not running it at the moment since switching to the new spider leveling system it made leveling dead simple and spot on I don't need it anymore.
And to be honest I have the one that came with my M2 the old leveling system and I hate to say it but I have only had to level maybe 2 times since August. So to me auto leveling is kind of a oh hum, and since the Space Shuttle work has gone away its not that big a deal anymore ;)
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:07 am

I could never seem to get it level as needed. Close...at times but it did not last long. All those problems are gone now. The leveling was cool to watch but I was always worried about the z rod increased wear.

jprochnow

Post by jprochnow » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:18 am

Any idea on when the new leveling system will be incorporated into the assembled printers?

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:59 am

i wouldnt hold your breath. makergear doesnt ever rush anything to market. i know i dont even have a final working software for this yet.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Final software for what Jim ? The auto leveling software is full time functional. I posted a working firmware with lcd support.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:03 pm

I dont think so. Prob a month ago josh sent me and i guess some others a test to see if it fixed the scaling issues with the software. The original software has a couple issues on the mac side but on windows its completely unusable. Missing buttons and text. You cant even tell what its trying say.