nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:44 am

Okay, potentially dumb question - Was I supposed to run the screws down through the damper and into the motor to attach it to the frame? (Cause that's what i did, and it works, but it's not technically "hanging by nothing but the rubber". The rubber is a bit squished and it provides good damping of the vibrations from the motor, and the belt is tighter than it was before the dampers were put on, but now i'm wondering if i did it right?) :?

Should i have come up from the bottom with a smaller screw and washer to just catch the lip of the damper and attach it to the frame?

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't think so....looking at them I would just assume you attach the motor to the damper using only two screws and the attach the damper to the frame also using only two screws.

-Steve

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks Steve - yeah that's what i did, but i used two short m3x6 screws to attach the damper to the motor, then came down through the frame, through the remaining two holes in the damper and into the motor on the other two holes with a longer pair of m3x16s for the X axis, and m3x20s for the Y axis. I did that so that i could compress the rubber, if it's just hanging from smaller screws that don't go into the motor, that rubber isn't compressed.

My question is - is it supposed to be? (I thought it was, but maybe i should have waited for hubs after all..... :roll:. This is why i did not go into mech engr - statics was okay but hated all that vibration cr*p in dynamics.) :lol:

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Yeah I don't think you are suppose to compress the rubber that will probably affect the dampening. I think you are only suppose to use two short screws to affix the damper to the frame and not completely through to the motor. Basically you will have two unused holes on the motor, as well as two on the frame. It will still probably damper the sound the way you did it but not as much because at that point you are almost making it ridged again.

-Steve

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:55 pm

sthone wrote:Yeah I don't think you are suppose to compress the rubber that will probably affect the dampening. I think you are only suppose to use two short screws to affix the damper to the frame and not completely through to the motor. Basically you will have two unused holes on the motor, as well as two on the frame. It will still probably damper the sound the way you did it but not as much because at that point you are almost making it ridged again.

-Steve
Sigh! Oh well, going to have to wait till the weekend to fix it anyway - got too much going on this week. (And probably need to pick up some shorter screws.)
Thanks! :)

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:46 pm

On mine, the heads of SHCS were too long and would have touched the mounting plate and compromised the isolation. I used pan-heads instead.

cheers,
c

insta

Post by insta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:23 am

Jules wrote:
sthone wrote:Yeah I don't think you are suppose to compress the rubber that will probably affect the dampening. I think you are only suppose to use two short screws to affix the damper to the frame and not completely through to the motor. Basically you will have two unused holes on the motor, as well as two on the frame. It will still probably damper the sound the way you did it but not as much because at that point you are almost making it ridged again.

-Steve
Sigh! Oh well, going to have to wait till the weekend to fix it anyway - got too much going on this week. (And probably need to pick up some shorter screws.)
Thanks! :)
It should have come with the screws you needed?

I think you're probably in for a surprise now with how much quieter it's going to get.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:10 am

insta wrote: It should have come with the screws you needed?

I think you're probably in for a surprise now with how much quieter it's going to get.
Nope, no screws. Had to forage amongst my bits and pieces that came with the machine and hit the hardware store. Twice, because it took a longer screw on the Y-axis than the m3x16s that i got. :P

I can't hear anything but the fan now, (and those are a lot better after taking off those guards), so i might just leave it like it is. It's doing a great job of stabilizing that jogging. :D

(What the heck, maybe in another couple of weeks - after the new roof is installed and we get past the wedding hooplah. Always too much stuff gettin' in the way of my fun!) :cry:

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:11 am

Congratulations to the lucky bride or groom.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:35 am

jsc wrote:Congratulations to the lucky bride or groom.
Thanks! My niece! She's marrying a very fine young man! (Super tall too!) :D