nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by Jules » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 pm

innkeeper wrote:i am thinking, if your going to do that, you might be as equally served by using the cork spacers/dameners instead. and those you can make yourself from cork sheets from you local arts supply / hobby store.
Probably so. :D Or, you might just punch/cut a small hole in a sheet of rubber - They sell those rubber "spacer" sheets for use with mechanical embossers like the Cuttlebug. (I think these nema 17's are a lot cheaper though.)

So what the heck, whatever works! (Someone needs to try it and post the results.) I'm certainly pleased with the results of this little experiment! :D

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Kulturfolger wrote:I might sound like a wisenheimer but in my opinion the damper should be bend by the belt tension. Can you imagine that a slight angle on the pulley would move the belt upwards? Furthermore I guess most of the noise is produced by the turning point of the belt.
I think most of the noise is generated by the vibrations from the stepping action of the stepper motors, which then radiate throughout the frame generating a lot of noise. By isolating the vibrations from the chassis you get a HUGE noise reduction.

You are right about the angle of the pulley though, the belt does tend to creep up towards the top, haven't seen much wear on it after about 40 hours of running, but it could eventually lead to pre-mature failure. Its something I can live with due to the extreme noise reduction. Unless someone has a suggestion on how to correct this, maybe I'm just tightening the belt too much.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:30 pm

What about a Ninjaflex printed spacer?

insta

Post by insta » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Kulturfolger wrote:I might sound like a wisenheimer but in my opinion the damper should be bend by the belt tension. Can you imagine that a slight angle on the pulley would move the belt upwards? Furthermore I guess most of the noise is produced by the turning point of the belt.
The belt does ride to the top of the pulley. If a new $12 belt every 2 years is the price I pay for running these dampers, I'm still sold :mrgreen:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Kulturfolger

Post by Kulturfolger » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 pm

Well, I need to find an alternative source within europe, I dont know anything about these belts. I'am trying one of these dampers right now, guess I should lower the pulley, the belt is scratching to the plastic holding the printhead. :roll:

One belt seems like 630mm and the other like 700mm. As soon as I find my gt2 belt I might try another belt. I got something rattling somewhere beneath the printbed. Maybe the connection replacing the springs is still weak.

PS: Insta, did you put the updated firmware on git?
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:04 am

Kulturfolger wrote: I'am trying one of these dampers right now, guess I should lower the pulley, the belt is scratching to the plastic holding the printhead. :roll:
I just looked straight towards the printer and focused my eyes on the rail the stepper rides on. I looked at the distance from the belt to the rail and adjusted the pulley up or down until it was perfectly parallell to the rail all the way across the length of it. It still looks like it rubs a little but haven't seen much wear so far.
jdacal

insta

Post by insta » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:59 pm

jsc wrote:What about a Ninjaflex printed spacer?
I was thinking about printing a mold and casting them from an industrial 60A durometer resin (a tad softer than NinjaFlex).
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:57 am

Newbie question - how does one go about installing these? (this is my first mod on the machine). Am I supposed to disassemble the belt and then the motor to install these?

Thanks!

Nir

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:02 am

nirfriedman wrote:Newbie question - how does one go about installing these? (this is my first mod on the machine). Am I supposed to disassemble the belt and then the motor to install these?

Thanks!

Nir
Remove the stepper motor bolts (you might want to loosen the allen screw on the pulley first since you'll have to adjust the pulley). Remove the stepper motor and put the damper on top of the motor housing. One set of holes on the damper is threaded. Those go towards the top (away from the motor). Bolt the two non-threaded holes to the motor housing. Then mount the motor back and install the two screws on the threaded flange holes. Adjust your pulley and belt and you should be all set. Make sure you snug the pulley set screw really tight, but not so tight you strip out the allen head.

Enjoy the silence!
jdacal

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:29 am

jdacal wrote:
nirfriedman wrote:Newbie question - how does one go about installing these? (this is my first mod on the machine). Am I supposed to disassemble the belt and then the motor to install these?
Remove the stepper motor bolts (you might want to loosen the allen screw on the pulley first since you'll have to adjust the pulley). Remove the stepper motor and put the damper on top of the motor housing. One set of holes on the damper is threaded. Those go towards the top (away from the motor). Bolt the two non-threaded holes to the motor housing. Then mount the motor back and install the two screws on the threaded flange holes. Adjust your pulley and belt and you should be all set. Make sure you snug the pulley set screw really tight, but not so tight you strip out the allen head.

Enjoy the silence!
Thanks! that sounds simple enough.