nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by insta » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:55 pm

I dunno there's all these kids with their new-fangled auto-tramming beds...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:19 pm

says the man who started the dampening binge....:P
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:31 am

ednisley wrote:...a damper probably won't buy you much.

Except, possibly, bragging rights, which aren't to be sniffed at around here. [grin]
ah well, i was in there changing out the z stepper anyway, so put it in along with the others.... guess i'm a braggart now oh well..
8-)
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:57 am

Well, what do you think?

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:49 am

lol insta, didn't mean to leave you hanging....I've not not done much more then homing so far, but its a heck of a a lot quieter doing that on all axis. i was kind of expecting the difference but its still pretty drastic noise difference.

i'm still in the middle of fixing things on the printer, so probably wont be back to printing with it till Tuesday at best. i'm knocking out a lot of things at once, new z stepper, dampeners, new extruder stepper, the z switch holder which can't tighten, replacing a badly printed filament guide.,.list goes on...just a lot of things that never were right from day 1 (i still swear it was built on a Friday) just ran out of free time on the weekend but got pretty close to done..

i still have a new / different dc-dc converter to install on my smoothieboard clone to fix some 5V noise thats causing thermistor readings to fluctuate.... requires a small modification to the circuit with smd's - not great for these old eyes lol. after that i'll be back to printing. I will post what i think once i get back to printing.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:06 pm

INSTA!! OMG - finally did some prints...... holy crap the fan on the power supply is fan seems so loud now :) what a huge difference.

i am getting a some loud noise on the x axis stepper at times, it is kind of odd, and now really noticeable since the dampers are in place... i might swap the x and y steppers just to see if there is something wrong with the stepper, or just hitting the right frequency and its resonating...

insta

Post by insta » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:50 pm

innkeeper wrote:INSTA!! OMG - finally did some prints...... holy crap the fan on the power supply is fan seems so loud now :) what a huge difference.

i am getting a some loud noise on the x axis stepper at times, it is kind of odd, and now really noticeable since the dampers are in place... i might swap the x and y steppers just to see if there is something wrong with the stepper, or just hitting the right frequency and its resonating...
I bet you the X stepper is actually your extruder motor at this point. Mine's also loud now. :mrgreen:

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 pm

insta wrote:I bet you the X stepper is actually your extruder motor at this point. Mine's also loud now. :mrgreen:
Extruder motor, Why you clicking all the time?!?!

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 am

insta wrote:I bet you the X stepper is actually your extruder motor at this point. Mine's also loud now. :mrgreen:
actually the extruder is quiet as can be (brand new and re-greased before it ever whent into service) its definably the x axsis movement making the noise, I can reproduce it if I get the homing speeds at the right speed.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:22 pm

innkeeper wrote:reproduce it if I get the homing speeds at the right speed
Two words: mechanical resonance

The rule of thumb for fixing that involves avoiding that particular speed, which is easy enough for 3D printers that never move at the same speed in the same direction for very long. Set the homing speed to another value and the problem will Go Away.

And it doesn't affect print quality, because the resonance takes longer to build up than typical printing moves will allow.

If you really want bragging rights, then you need shaft dampers:
http://www.linengineering.com/accessori ... amper.aspx

Or you can go full-frontal DIY:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/stepper-m ... amper.html

[grin]