nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by Jules » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:26 pm

helifrek wrote:I am ready to take the plunge, does anyone in the US have two extras they would be willing to part with?
Traded my spares to insta for his hive, but do get them even if no one has spares.....soooooooo worth it! :D

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Sorry. I just realized I hijacked this thread from dampers to fans unintentionally. Maybe one of the mods can move it to a separate topic?
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:25 am

No worries, I will wait around for a few days to see if anyone has a couple. I don't want to pay $30 for 4 of them but I also don't want to wait a month for them to come from china. Maybe I can look around and find more US sellers with a better deal. I am a cheapskate :)

I wouldn't say the fans are too off topic, I mean we are discussing ways to make the printer more quite! I honestly don't mind the noise that much, my wife hates it when I do a print that runs through the night though but I haven't been getting many print jobs lately that require me to run it into the night.

Edit: Nevermind, I said "F" it and went ahead and ordered a couple from Ultibots! my printer is still pretty much stock except some LEDs mounted to a different fan bracket. I think I am going to start reprinting the 3D pieces in orange to spice this thing up a little bit!

Thanks for the recommendation on the dampers, can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes!

One more edit: why the heck do you have 4 printers? what are you printing so much of!!!!?

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am

As hard as he runs them is probably spare parts. :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:53 am

Insta does print jobs for people....he needs a herd! :D

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:48 pm

I got the dampers in today and already have them installed and doing my first print! HOLY COW!!!! I am sitting right beside the printer and the fans are louder than anything else! I didn't take a whole lot of time fiddling with the belts to make sure they are perfect so I will have to keep an eye on them, I am sure they will be just fine though. Thanks again for this awesome tip!

Only problem now is it is going to be hard to hear if the machine stops unexpectedly! although, that never really happens!

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Heh! Wait until you change the fans. Now my power supply sounds like a freight train, that's my next project.
jdacal

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Right now it sounds like my extruder fan is the loudest thing! You have a link to the fans? are they a drop in replacement?

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:31 pm

helifrek wrote:Right now it sounds like my extruder fan is the loudest thing! You have a link to the fans? are they a drop in replacement?
Not sure what size you use. I'm using 40mm x 10mm Noctua fans. You would need to replace the extruder and the case fan since they are in series and use those buck supplies that Ed recommended to power them. Actually if you use Ed's you wouldn't have to replace both if you don't want to. As long as you power each one separately. The Noctua fans are the quietest I've seen so far, but expensive.
jdacal

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:52 pm

These little guys?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608033

Not too expensive really. I will have to look more into the wiring though!