nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
dramsey

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by dramsey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:23 pm

OK, after much dithering, I have installed the dampers on the X and Y motors, and the printer is now silent except for the extruder and bed fans...and they're next.

After I bolted everything back together, though, I started thinking "Self, you really should have used washers when bolting the dampers to the motors." So I guess I'll do that after this test print.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:14 am

so i got a few sets of these dampers. good lord i cant believe it. you cant even hear the printer running. its gotta take 95% of the noise out of this m2 running. its nuts! never would have thought that.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:58 pm

jimc wrote:so i got a few sets of these dampers. good lord i cant believe it. you cant even hear the printer running. its gotta take 95% of the noise out of this m2 running. its nuts! never would have thought that.
:lol: that's everybody's reaction.

before: "Meh the M2 isn't all that loud"
after: "was I breeding chainsaws in here before?"
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Raddiver

Post by Raddiver » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 am

Ohhh Emmmm Geeeee.
The difference is astounding!
Judging by how people were talking i knew there would be a difference, but wow. What a difference. Well worth the money.
Thanks Insta!

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:23 am

I just bought enough of these to do 8 printers. I'm hoping to regain my hearing afterwards.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

quaver

Post by quaver » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:44 pm

I have ordered a set of dampers, eager to evaluate. The only question I have relates to the effect on positional accuracy. Most dampers of this type have two rigid elements connected by a flexible elastomeric. Many will restrict motion in two or more of the six degrees of normal freedom. Some have no limitation in all six degrees except what is provided by the stiffness of the elastomeric. If the NEMA 17 dampers are not sufficiently stiff torsionally would this not cause position control errors?

Further explanation - without the damper the stepper housing is rigidly attached to the frame. The stepper motor can achieve the commanded alignment between its armature (the rotating part) and stator only by means of rotation of the armature as the stator is rigidly fixed to the housing and the housing rigidly fixed to the frame. When the damper is installed the housing can now twist about the shaft axis in response to the reaction torque that is imposed upon it by each angular step command. In other words, the alignment between the armature and the stator can now be achieved by means of rotation the armature OR by means of rotation of the stator/housing due to twisting of the elastomeric in the damper. For slow, nearly static motion this is unlikely as the force required to move the X or Y axes is likely pretty small compared to the torsional stiffness of the damper's elastomeric element. But dynamically, there is quite a bit of force at work as evidenced by machines/benches jerking and shaking, belts slipping, etc. It could be that you loose a few steps or accuracy due to this twist or wind-up (as its often called). I have not calculated what one step is worth in terms of nozzle position and it may well be inconsequential.

I skimmed through this topic and noted most seem to observe no negative effects but one member complained of loss of accuracy. Has anyone performed before and after dimensional calibration checks?

insta

Post by insta » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:05 pm

You will notice that effect during periods of hard acceleration (and most of us decrease acceleration anyway), but the dampers are sufficiently stiff that nobody has noticed any positional errors that aren't already swamped by the resolution of the goopy plastic we're shoving through a heated little hole.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

quaver

Post by quaver » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:18 am

The descriptions do not due justice to the magnitude of the change. Simply shocking. Seems like the printer is now powered by magic. Unseen (or unheard) forces glide the bed and extruder to and fro. :o

quaver

Post by quaver » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Following up on my earlier comment with regard to the effect on accuracy... printed my first calibration object since installing the dampers. X and Y are within +/- 0.15 mm. There are CNC machines that struggle to maintain that accuracy. No discernable effect on practical accuracy.

j-rod

Post by j-rod » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:52 am

Just got a chance to do my first test print since installing these. The reduction in noise from the motors is huge. This is seriously one of the best upgrades for the printer. Thanks for the tip, Insta!