nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Calpoog

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by Calpoog » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 pm

I ordered two of the dampers and mine come with a significant amount of the rubber molded out onto the mating faces of the metal (the face that goes against the motor and the other face that goes against the M2 chassis). Should I slice this off or will it not have any effect? The original link insta posted had no rubber on the mating faces and looks like it may have been taken off.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:12 am

Didn't notice any on mine....you can just slice it off, or try it with it on if it's level....might actually be quieter. :D

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:09 am

Calpoog wrote:I ordered two of the dampers and mine come with a significant amount of the rubber molded out onto the mating faces of the metal (the face that goes against the motor and the other face that goes against the M2 chassis). Should I slice this off or will it not have any effect? The original link insta posted had no rubber on the mating faces and looks like it may have been taken off.
i had some on mine, left it, and it didn't effect anything negatively, however it was quite thin.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:05 am

I seem to recall that the M2E is supposed to be quieter than earlier models. I don't find mine too objectionable, but I wouldn't mind making it quieter.

Has anyone with a "E" model tried the dampers? if so, how much difference did it make?

Thanks!

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Gwhite wrote:I seem to recall that the M2E is supposed to be quieter than earlier models. I don't find mine too objectionable, but I wouldn't mind making it quieter.

Has anyone with a "E" model tried the dampers? if so, how much difference did it make?

Thanks!

I'll tell you soon enough...just ordered some dampers for my X/Y steppers.

I have the printer set up in the room with my home theater, and would always avoid watching shows while a print was running.

Now I need to find fans that work with no modification so I can swap the fans to something quieter...any suggestions?

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3160&hilit=noctua&start=20

3rd post down on this page is where my fan install starts, but you should check out the whole thread.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

bratan

Post by bratan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Gwhite wrote:I seem to recall that the M2E is supposed to be quieter than earlier models. I don't find mine too objectionable, but I wouldn't mind making it quieter.

Thanks!
Just did it on my "E" printer last week. Yeah difference is huge, motors are silent now :)
I am a little concerned about belt tension tho. I can't get it as tight as it was from the factory no matter how hard I push, but it seems to print fine. Y axis motor was a pain to mod, I had to move pulley very far up the shaft, almost worry that it might slip off.
I don't think there's any way to put damper on Z axis motor btw, it's touching bottom as it is. Not that you need damper on that one :)

bratan

Post by bratan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 pm

I just took mine off... While noise reduction was awesome, my belts kept on loosing their tension. There's just no way to get it tight with rubber damper moving stepper. Maybe rubber wasn't of good quality on mine, but I decided not to risk it as I use this printer commercially and quality is priority...

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 pm

My dampers didn't reduce the noise as much as I was expecting, but it's still reduced. Now to start printing stuff so I can see if it causes any issues there

boucha18

Post by boucha18 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I have had dampers installed on my M2E X and Y axis for about a year and the difference is pretty big in the noise department and there have not been any problems even having only two bolts tying the motor to the frames.