Fan guards

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: Fan guards

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 pm

insta wrote:
Jules wrote:Recommendations for wire fan guards? :D
I just bought a bunch of 40mm wire guards off of Amazon, they were more or less sold by the pound.

I've got like 2 dozen ... how many do you want? :p
ROFL! I swear insta, you are even worse than i am! :lol:

Tell you what, I'll trade you a couple extra motor spacer gaskets for a couple of fan guards. (Although by the time we get finished mucking around with postage, it's likely cheaper to just order from Amazon.) :D

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 am

Sure I'll go for that. 2x 40mm fan guards and 1x dust-filtering 50mm fan guard for 2x motor bushings. Lets drop them in an envelope and send it with a stamp :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 am

LOL! Done! I'll PM you when the motor bushings arrive - they're EBayed, so i have no earthly idea how long they'll take to get here from China. :D

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:46 am

Jules wrote:they're EBayed, so i have no earthly idea how long they'll take to get here from China.
I know them feels.

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 pm

This sounds like you are using the bed fan for PetG - is that the case? I have been experimenting with PetG/Pet+ and have not used the bed fan at all based on other posts. Or is the extruder fan making so much of a difference?

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:54 pm

CCVirginia wrote:This sounds like you are using the bed fan for PetG - is that the case? I have been experimenting with PetG/Pet+ and have not used the bed fan at all based on other posts. Or is the extruder fan making so much of a difference?
Nope, just using the bed fan for PLA. I'm using jin's suggested method of zero fan for PETG - i did start to get some delamination issues with the fan on while using the V4.
(Odd, because the V3B seemed fine with fan, but who knows? I probably changed something in there without realizing it.)

I want the wire fan guards for quieter operation, more air flow, and because i am clinically insane, and i just can't leave the poor machine alone. :P

N5QM

Post by N5QM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Jules wrote: I want the wire fan guards for quieter operation, more air flow, and because i am clinically insane, and i just can't leave the poor machine alone. :P
Do the wire fan guards actually make it quieter?
Robert
MakerGear M2 (24v) - v4 Hotend - PEI Build Surface

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:11 pm

N5QM wrote:
Jules wrote: I want the wire fan guards for quieter operation, more air flow, and because i am clinically insane, and i just can't leave the poor machine alone. :P
Do the wire fan guards actually make it quieter?
A lot, actually ... the laser-cut fan guards are a worst-case scenario for airflow ... the sharp corners make a very distinct fan whine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:22 am

I just bought the stock MG fans but removing the guards greatly improved air flow and dropped noise level.It truly is amazing.

lem

Post by lem » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:31 am

removing the guards
I've been reading this forum for a long time.

Sorry, I can't resist.

Let me count the number of things that have been dropped into a fan.................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: