Fan guards

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: Fan guards

Post by Jules » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Oh yeah it helped! :D

I'd be careful about going too high-speed on other fans though, because it might start to affect how the PETG layers bond if it's too cool. I did see some weakening of the bond between layers at full fan before bumping up the nozzle and bed temp, and Jin runs a more powerful fan on his, and he says cooling affects the bond negatively. I do believe it. There's probably a narrow range we have to hit for bridging PETG.

(PLA though would love a more powerful fan! Think of the help on the overhangs!) :D

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 am

I can always turn up the heat !!! ;)

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:03 am

yeah the fan makes a big difference in temp at the nozzle. to give an example, i have a plastic welder with a 40watt element same as the m2. when i am in my shop using it, if i have my shop fan on which is 20ft away and making a slight breeze. i like it on to keep the smoke from going in my face but it cuts my weld speed in less than half. it almost wont even get hot enough to melt the plastic. now imagine our printers with that bed fan blowing directly at the nozzle. i bet it drops temp at the nozzle 20c.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:24 pm

I have also noticed that when I run the central air prints seems to turn out a bit nicer than when the whole house is opened up to the heat and humidity.