E3D V6's no longer come with 40watt heaters by default

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Farr0wn3d

E3D V6's no longer come with 40watt heaters by default

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:39 am

I finally went ahead and ordered 2 e3d v6's from http://www.filastruder.com and when they arrived and I started assembling them I realized that even though they had 40watt cartridges in all their promotional photos, as does e3d, I received a 25watt cartridge with both of the ones I ordered. I thought that this must be a mistake but when I emailed filastruder, I was told that they come with 25watt units (ones with the blue leads) by default because they're "safer" and that it will still reach 300*C.

I could be wrong here but I know that my v3b has a tough time maintaining 250*C with the bed fan on, and its a 40watt unit. I cant see the v6 hitting 300*C reliably even with the fan off when equipped with a 25watt heater. I was also under the impression that the v6 was capable of 400*C with just a thermocouple upgrade, will the 25watt unit fulfil that temp as well??

What heaters has everyone else received with their v6's? and where did you order from? thoughts on this?
Last edited by Farr0wn3d on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Re: E3D V6 default heater cartridge rating

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 am

over the past year and a half i have bought 6 e3d hot ends. all have 40w 12v cartridges. 2 of those hot ends came from filastruder. i just looked on e3d's website and all the hot ends show 40w heaters. the only place i saw the blue lead one is in their spare parts section and its a 30w 12v unit. i can tell you this, the stock makergear 40w heater will have no problem holding well over 250 with the bed fan on. if it wont hold then you need to look into the firmware and see what the "max pid" setting is. that is the max voltage that the heater should see. its a limit. that 30w 12v unit will run on the 24v machine but you need set that max pid setting to limit voltage otherwise that little heater will get so hot it will melt down. anyway i dont think your going to have an issue with it not holding temp. i do think its strange they are giving you that heater though. unless e3d changed something then thats not normal. i would send an email to e3d just to see what their kits are supposed to be shipped with.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:08 am

It appears that there is 25 and 40 watt versions in both 12v and 24v arrangements

if you go here http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly and scroll down a bit theres a table that shows the resistance values for each configuration. the resistance of the heaters that I got are consistent with being a 24v 25watt.

Jimc, I'm unfamiliar with the PID configurations, I assume thats where you change the temp table for the new thermistor as well?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:17 am

huh, yeah never seen blue leads on anything. funny that link says 25 watt but their website says 30. weird. well right in the beginning of the marlin config h file you change the table to #5 but you will need to run a pid auto tune sequence to tune the heater in so you keep a steady temp. the auto tune makes it easy. run the sequence, it give you the values to plug in. enter then and if everything runs good then send an m500 command to save the settings. sometimes the heater will ramp up so fast before doing the autotune that it goes off the scale and its unable to run the sequence. if that happens then you need to lower the "max pid" to limit voltage and keep it under control. a 24v heater on a 24v system though this is very unlikely. here is a good link for you to read.

http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=773

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:20 am

I'm running S3D on a mac, does that make any difference for editing the marlin firmware. On that note, I have no idea how to idea the file you're speaking of lol Is there a write up on doing this?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:25 am

to change the firmware you need to download the arduino app from the website then download a copy of your firmware from the makergear wiki. once you have that then its easy. you run arduino, load the firmware file into the app which works something like notepad. goto the configuration h file. this is the file where most of the settings and variables in your firmware are stored. believe me, before i did it the first time i was a little nervous but it took all of about 10 min to figure out the whole thing and make changes. no big deal really. read that link i posted.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Did you get thte E3D or the E3D LITE

the LITE is only deigned to hit 245c, do not run it higher.

i see now on thier site they now spec a 25w cartridge for the E3D.

frankly, as you stated, with the fan going the 40W has a hard enough time keeping up higher temperatures.
I have to admit, the lower wattage cartridges sound very suspect on a E3D. i've got a range of hotends including PICO and E3D and they all have 40w cartridges,

i suppose you can give thwe 25w a try, i may not work well with the stock setup with the fan blowing on the block..
if it were me, id just go out and get myself a 40w cartridge and use that instead of trying to getthe lower wattage cartridge to work.
and if i were in a rush i would jsut pick up one at MicroCenter as they seem to sell them.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:31 pm

I ordered the v6, not the v6 lite. everything that came with my hot ends was v6 except for the heater cartridge (blue fan shroud, teflon tube stops partway into the groove mount and fits into the heat break)

After a few emails back and forth with Tim from filastruder, I'm rather disappointed with this transaction. I was firmly told that I'm better off having the 25 watt version because its safer and that 40watt cartridges can reach 500*C and melt your aluminum heater block in the event of a MOSFET failure. They made this change at the beginning of the year and has made no mention of it in their promo material or photos. To me, this seems like a bait-and-switch, and while like he says, most people arent going to go to 400*C with their v6's so the 40watt heater isnt necessary, if you advertise that all you need is a thermocouple upgrade to reach 400*C, then that should be true.

I was offered that I could ship the cartridges back, and have the 40watt versions shipped back to me. Perhaps this seems like a fair resolution to some, and if this was a brick and mortar store in my city I might have just driven there and swapped them out. However, paying to ship them back there and waiting for them to get there and then for the new ones to arrive at my door seems silly when I can just pay a bit extra, order 40 watt heaters from makergear, have them sooner and just choose not to order from www.filastruder.com in the future seems like a better option to me.

This thread is to caution anyone that is ordering E3D V6's that if they expect to receive a 40watt heater cartridge, they will likely have to specify that when they order it.

Kulturfolger

Post by Kulturfolger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Just measure the resistance. They all calculate the power with 12V input voltage. The resistance of the resistor should be 5.76 Ohm. This would give you 50 Watt with the 24V Powersupply which is enough in most cases.

How did you found out it has a though time? Did you use the repetier to check the average "turned on" time? You might want to add isolation to the heater block which is always a good idea. I use "SUPER GLUE 15408 E-Z FUSE SILICONE TAPE" to isolate the block. Turn the block with the resistor to the back, this way the short end of the block is next to the air coming in from the fan.

The PTFE Liner only present in 1.75mm version - 3mm Bowden has partial lining - 3mm Direct has no lining. The PTFE is the reason for the maximum temperature. If you want to print really hot use a 3mm direct.

Ingo
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:44 pm

What are you doing with 250C and the bed fan?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org