Paste Extruder

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
chrisgig26

Paste Extruder

Post by chrisgig26 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:22 pm

I currently have my M2 set up with the dual extruder. However, my lab works mainly with suspensions of various nanometals, ceramics, and other particles so I would like to retrofit my printer with a syringe paste extruder.

Does anybody have any previous experience with this type of modification? I've seen some things online where other printers have been altered to allow for paste extrusion, but have not found anything relating to the M2.

It appears that there are a few different kinds of paste extruders (pneumatic paste extruders, pumped extruders, and direct drive paste extruders), and any experience/tips with any of these types would be greatly appreciated. *I found a printable direct drive paste extruder on thingiverse, but it is currently designed for a different printer and would require some serious editing/engineering that I would much rather not deal with.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Paste Extruder

Post by Tim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:02 pm

Take a look at http://www.structur3d.io/#discov3ry. These guys were at the World MakerFaire in 2015; I watched them attempt to do the world's first 3D wasabi print (which was something of a failure, pity). Their paste extruder can be retrofitted to pretty much any 3D printer, including the M2.