Anyone tried this yet? Laser cutter add-on

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
helifrek

Anyone tried this yet? Laser cutter add-on

Post by helifrek » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Hey guys,
I was browsing google to see what other add-ons and upgrades people have made for the M2 and stumbled on this. I don't know how practical it would be for an M2 but is looks pretty neat!

http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1348

Jules

Re: Anyone tried this yet? Laser cutter add-on

Post by Jules » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Uh-oh! (Duck!) :lol:

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Trust me, I seen all the other threads mentioning laser cutting and safety!!! :lol:

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Whoooooooh, you like livin' on the edge! :P

I wonder if the MakerGear folks know about it - it looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. (Some people don't bother to read the disclaimers.) :|

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Uh-oh! I didn't read the disclaimer, or maybe it has just been a long time since I read it. Is it for using their picture or what?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:35 pm

helifrek wrote:Uh-oh! I didn't read the disclaimer, or maybe it has just been a long time since I read it. Is it for using their picture or what?
No i was talking about the one on the electronics site - the one that says they aren't responsible if you hurt yourself with their little laser setup. (Although the MG folks probably do have a lawsuit for improper modification of their machine/use of the photo as well.)

Ah well, in a country where Jackass is a majorly popular TV show, what else can you expect? ROFL! :lol:

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Oh, hahah. I guess common sense isn't very common nowadays and they have to put up that disclaimer. Looks like their little laser will fit a lot of different machines. I don't know what I would do with a laser cutter/engraver that only did 8x10..... I think that crack cnc machine would be a better choice. That's going to be my next toy when I get the money saved up, a desktop CNC machine. I think I would rather do laser cutting because it is less mess.

lem

Post by lem » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Although the MG folks probably do have a lawsuit for improper modification of their machine
I doubt it. Pick your product (guns, cars, lasers, etc.) At present there still seems to be the notion that as long as a manufacturer produces a product that is in accordance with the law, they are not responsible for how that product gets used. Cigarettes are in a legal gray area.

Since the laser mod is not approved by MG (I'm assuming here) they are most likely on firm territory.

Having said that, realize that any entity can sue any entity regardless of the merits of the case. It comes down to who is most likely to win such a suit.

This modification is not a very good idea, however, for the foolish among us, I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work.

lem

Post by lem » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:08 pm

I think that crack cnc machine would be a better choice
Already been done.
https://discuss.inventables.com/t/jtech ... ve/8511/20

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:59 am

Awesome to see someone has already done it. I wonder how well it would cut something like EPP foam. I seen some hot wire setups for cutting foam but something about a laser just seems more fun!