E3D quietly admits issue with E3Dv6 and heat soak

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
loiphin

E3D quietly admits issue with E3Dv6 and heat soak

Post by loiphin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:52 am

Hi all,

I have been having problems with my E3Dv6 and printing smaller prints. It seems to jam up when doing slow prints (probably due to heat soak), and then the filament is stripped by the extruder gear.

And then today I noticed on the E3Dv6 assembly instructions they have snuck in an additional step to use thermal paste between the heat break and heatsink to improve thermal transfer. And its been added to all kits from now on! So it must be pretty widespread.

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_ ... l_Compound

Finally after countless hours of pissing about and scouring forums, and this evidence from E3D themselves I can finally fix it!!!

loiphin.

jimc

Re: E3D quietly admits issue with E3Dv6 and heat soak

Post by jimc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:50 pm

ummm no. the thermal paste would only improve heat transfer past the heat break and up into the cooling fin area. if the 30mm fan is you should have next to no heat transfer up past the heat break. paste or no paste that hot end should work flawlessly for you. if the 30mm fan isnt working however then you get about 4-5 min before the heat will rise up into the fin area and cause a jam. one thing to check is to make sure that fan is running 100%. be sure in your start script there is an m108 s255 command there. 255 is the speed. make sure your not at 155. the older m2 profiles had it set there. also take not that e3d has changed their 30mm fan numerous times. some of their fans dont work with pwm to vary the voltage. i have some that get overheat on pwm after some run time and then they just shut off leaving you with a jam. check the fan voltage. it should be a 12v fan not a 24.

loiphin

Post by loiphin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes, it would draw the heat away from the heatbreak towards the heatsink more effectively with the paste between the heatbreak and the heatsink. So to me that means a cooler heatbreak (at least the top portion) and therefore less likelyhood of jamming. That how I see it, when looking at the cutaway diagrams of the E3Dv6.

Anyway, there is no harm in trying, and if E3D are saying you should do that in their assembly instructions then I will give it a go.

Fan script is S255, checked.
Fan is 12V as it's in series with the case fan, checked. Third party, good quality ball bearing fan might I add.

loiphin.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Yes for sure. No harm in using it. Just saying dont expect that to be the cure to your jammig problem. Thats good on the fan. Just wanted you to double check that stuff.

loiphin

Post by loiphin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Looks like it solved the issue!!!

I did two things:

* Put a piece of Kapton tape around the heater block. Just a temporary measure until I get some some fibreglass sleeve to help insulate the block against the fan for PLA. Having the fan blow on the unprotected heater block causes it to work harder to keep up the temperature. Perhaps internally its just a few degrees hotter which translates to a warmer heatbreak.

* Applied thermal paste to the threads between the heatbreak and heatsink on the E3Dv6. (This is what actually fixed the problem)

Printed off 3 Marvins at 0.1mm in PLA, one at a time, and not a single jam! Previously, when printing a Marvin it was guaranteed to jam.

http://imgur.com/dSliItN

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Thu May 26, 2016 3:28 pm

I just got a V6.

I noticed that my drive gear is about 114F while printing. For PLA, it would be nice to keep it as cool as possible. With my V5 I was running a powerful fan right into that gear. I am going to not use that fan, but if I have a problem, then I will put that fan back.

BTW, I updated my filament drive for the V6:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:267137

It is compatible with the universal version that has the Bowden collet. I made mine from eSun PETG.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu May 26, 2016 5:15 pm

Wow.. your motor mount has seen better days :D you need the metal upgrade one.