Changing a M2 from 1.75 to 3.0 mm Filament

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
wmgeorge

Changing a M2 from 1.75 to 3.0 mm Filament

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Can anyone give me a comprehensive parts list to use 3 mm filament on the M2? I don't mind spending some money for a turn key change over. If MakerGear has one for sale I can not find it on the website or a complete list of parts to buy.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

sthone

Re: Changing a M2 from 1.75 to 3.0 mm Filament

Post by sthone » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Check out This Thread it might get you pointed in the right direction.

-Steve

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:47 pm

So its as simple as printing one part and purchasing the new v4 hot end? Nothing else required and just $65 cost. Not a bad deal. Anyone have any suggestions about encountered problems??

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:51 pm

I could be wrong but I don't think the make the V4 in 3mm I think the conversion parts are for the V3B setup.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Is the V4 a MakerGear part as I see references to it on a Google search anyway?

This is all I found > arcol.hu hotend v4.1.1 If it was in stock it would be either 1.75 or 3.0 mm and .35 or .50 nozzle size. I keep seeing references to it on here but no place to purchase?
Last edited by wmgeorge on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Not sure if that's what "they" are referring to but when we reference the V4 on this forum yes the V4 is Makergears latest hotend.

-Steve

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:40 pm

So can it be purchased for the M2 and in 3 mm? I have something in mind but If I am going to a M2 I want it to be first class with the latest hotend.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:43 pm

wmgeorge wrote:So can it be purchased for the M2 and in 3 mm? I have something in mind but If I am going to a M2 I want it to be first class with the latest hotend.
No worries! It is first class with either nozzle! :D

The V4 comes standard now on the current pre-built models, but the V4 might not be available in 3mm. (We only know that MakerGear can create a 3mm hotend from the V3B for you, if you special order it that way.) We have no idea if they can convert one of the V4's to 3mm, you would have to ask them.

There's nothing in the world wrong with the V3B, it's an excellent nozzle. Is there some reason why it has to be 3mm filament as opposed to 1.75mm? Because if you can use 1.75mm filament, you can just use the stock V4 that comes on the new printers. Or, if it has to be 3mm filament because you have 20 rolls of it, the V3B modified will work just fine for PLA, ABS and PETG. :D

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:15 pm

I have 8 or 10 rolls of 3 mm in my inventory. If I try to sell it would be lucky to get 1/2 price for it. Purchased a TAZ 5 used and it was like new, but its really too big and I think the M2 would be better for my purposes. I need some thing portable and easy to move, the TAZ 5 is not that machine.

Someone else said all I need to do is print a new body and purchase a new 3 mm head for $65 but If I can get it direct from Makergear set up for a $100 more or so with a new machine that is the way I want to go.
I need to sell the TAZ 5 somewhere along the line. It was new in June 2015

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:06 am

Drop them a line and ask. I know they can set you up with a new machine and a hotend that has a V3B modified for the 3mm filament, and i doubt it would cost much different than a new one with the v4. Just be sure to describe your situation so they know which hotend to set you up with.

You might need to still print the filament drive for the 3mm, (i'm sure they don't keep those in stock), but you can print one of those on the Taz while you wait. Then switch out the drive when the printer comes and you're off and running.

(Oh: One other thing that i think i remember reading somewhere is that you are probably going to need a piece of filament guide tubing with a larger diameter than the standard one for 1.75 mm, i think most people get it on Ebay for a few bucks.)

You can always buy a separate V4 setup and modify it yourself later, once you've used up all your 3mm filament. They sell the kit, it's an easy upgrade (if i can do it, anyone can, & it comes with instructions & everything you need) and that way, you don't waste all that plastic, but you're not tied to 3mm filament forever.