Testers Needed

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jimc

Re: Testers Needed

Post by jimc » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:34 am

yeah i did figure out it is the scaling issue windows 10 does when using a 4k monitor. the window stays the same size but it upscales the text and jumbles it all together. if i set to 100%, sign out and sign back in all looks good. of course then the text is so microscopic i just about cant read it. the letters are only 1.5mm high and thats for the caps. :roll: anyway i atleast have the mac version now to play with now so tomorrow evening i will get this connected to the printer and try it out.

also, anyone who got their kit in this last shipment, did any of you guys find an extruder drive pulley in your box? it was supposed to be in my box but wasnt. just thinking all the boxes were the same and someone at MG maybe put it in the wrong persons box. no biggie, just curious.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Has anyone actually completed everything yet not just bits and pieces? Installed the new spider, uploaded the new Firmware, tested the program completely?

-Steve

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:12 pm

OK so I pretty damn sure the firmware installed because if I hit home in S3D now it wants to home down... so I think that's a good sign. Still can get the bottom end stop to work though.

I went back to the old firmware to just use the top end stop too try and see how well the new leveling screws worked at least but ran into issues before I could try it... If anyone tries to run the bed leveling wizard in S3D it will probably crash the hot end into the new bed clips using the standard leveling location S3D uses, but even if it didn't you really can't get at the screw for the front left with the positions S3D uses either. I'm assuming the new quick start guide has new spots for initial home location or the same collision is going to happen as well as new leveling locations.

Still at a lost where to go from here so I'm just going to wait and see if anyone else gets it going before I try anything else.

-Steve

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Did you plug the z end stop in one position to the right of the old one ? Instead of same place ?

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Yes... it is plugged in right (according to the pictures in the directions) I even went as far to test the switch with a meter and it works fine.

-Steve

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:17 pm

I'm not really 100% sure on why the need to flip the Z end stop. In order to use an aluminum plate I removed the clips on each end corner. The plate sits snuggly in the rubber.

I did not flip the end stop, and I'm 100% leveled with a dial gauge, and printing as well. I wanted to at least get to this point before I keep testing.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

sshwarts

Post by sshwarts » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:53 am

Just a note, I did not have to make any cuts to my heater. It already sits well inside the plate so that the leveling screws do not contact it.

Scott

sshwarts

Post by sshwarts » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:10 am

A design comment....

I don't like the idea of the Z stage resting on the limit switch when the printer is not in use. Long term I believe you'll damage the limit switch. My printer has a rubber grommet on the z screw which has been a landing pad for the stage. In installing this new switch, I've positioned it low enough that the grommet takes the full weight of the stage and not the limit switch.
IMG_2308.JPG

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:00 am

sthone - what does the firmware echo back when you connect to the printer now? And what does it echo back if you send "M119", with no endstops activated, vs. pressing the Z Max endstop by hand?

insta

Post by insta » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:20 am

Installation went smoothly, but the software side is lacking.

I modified the supplied firmware to change three things:
1) enable dual extruders
2) enable Viki
3) Put the step-skipping fix in (the OCR1A fix into stepper.cpp)

I didn't change anything else. I uploaded with Arduino 1.5.5 without issues.

When I ran the application (Windows 8.1), it starts fine (and looks better than the last time I saw it!), and says it connects fine. However, none of the positioning buttons do anything. I can home with the Viki, so for now I'm going to set the Z offset and level manually. I'm hoping to have it set up enough to run a test overnight -- I think this might fix a lot of the ringing.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org